Thursday, March 3, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #399: A Dig



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is A Dig

---


I'm going with my 3 most recent seen "Dig" movies and honestly there are very few movies that are about archeological digs. Most tend to be about an archeologist running around in some treasure adventure. So the ones I pick all have at least have some dig scenes.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
I saw this when I was little but remember none of it so I rewatched it a few years back. I know this is a well loved movie but I thought it was just ok. The archeological dig is more of the Nazi's stealing the artifacts for themselves and serve as a backdrop for Indiana Jones to save the day...or stealing it for the Americans?

The Mummy (2017)`
There is some sort of dig site at the start of the movie and the leading lady in this is an archeologist but it's not really about an archeological dig...like I said before, this like most movies is an adventure movie and not a very good one. Pretty boring and a total flop. It was supposed to launch Universal's monster series of movies and I don't think that's happening anymore. 
 
The Dig (2021)
This is based on a real archeological dig in England. I have no idea how accurate the movie is to the real story of the excavation of Sutton Hoo but this movie is the only one I've ever seen that really is about a dig rather than some background scene for an adventure story. So it is interesting in that regard.

 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to watch for The Dig. I've seen several documentary shows lately about archeological digs in England and other places in Europe and I've found them to be fascinating. Your other two picks are excellent films that I have see.

    Another good one that depicts extensive digs is Stargate. I saw it in the theater when it first came out and then watched it again a couple months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen parts of episodes of the Stargate TV series though I was too young and as such remember nothing.

      Delete
  2. We match on The Dig! I've seen all your picks this week. Raiders is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see The Dig because I like Ralph Fiennes. I love watching documentaries on archeological digs and have seen many that take place in England. I have yet to see the Tom Cruise flick but heard it’s pretty bad. I love The Mummy with Brendan Fraser which is a lot of fun and the original from 1932 is also very good. I am not a lover of Raiders as I found it meh and I like Harrison Ford but it did nothing for me. I have seen all 4 and my favourite is the 3rd with Sean Connery. The 4th one was dreck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the only archeological dig documentaries I've seen are the Egypt ones. Though I've seen European history documentaries where the hosts would visit many historical sites, and some of them were active archeological dig sites.

      Delete
  4. Raiders of the Lost Ark is such a classic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...