Thursday, December 29, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #442: TMP Television Edition - Amnesiacs


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Amnesiacs

---


I'm picking the first three series that came to mind. Also drop by my blog Sunday night, I’ll be posting the final 2023 schedule.
 
The Sinner (2017 - 2021)
In season one, a woman fatally stabs a man while at the beach with her family, without knowing why. This is an anthology series with each season a new crime is investigated by the main detective character. There’s a memory loss element in the first season, where the accused suffered some missing months in her early 20s causing her to have a violent physical reaction to the victim in the present day. The series presents its stories in a very eerie haunting manner though it is not always consistently good I think; I prefer only the first and fourth season.
 
Tabula Rasa (2017)
A woman suffering from amnesia is involuntarily committed to a mental institution when she becomes a key figure in the disappearance of a local man that she doesn't even remember she knows due to her condition. Out of my three picks today, I like this Belgian limited series the best. It’s a slow burn as it slowly reveals what actually happened and the extent of the main character’s amnesia. To me, Tabula Rasa is a little like a mash up of Shutter Island, The Orphanage and Before I Go to Sleep, so if you like them, check this out.

Surface (2022 - )
A woman suffers complete memory loss after what she is told was a failed suicide attempt by jumping off a ferry. This is a mystery, unfortunately not much of a big mystery in the end, it just went round and round but it did look pretty though. So a bit disappointing. It is a getting a second season. The first season covers the main character’s most recent past, while the second season it seems from how the last episode ended will go further back in time to when she was in London, before she emigrated to the US. 
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

2 comments:

  1. Tabula Rasa sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to see if that's on a streaming service I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would enjoy the 2nd one, from Belgium. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...