Thursday, June 4, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #308: Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Sloth



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Sloth

---


Today's deadly sin is sloth, so we're looking for movies with lazy slacker type of characters. Here are 4 that I've seen.

The Big Lebowski (1998)
Saw this recently. What does the Dude actually do? Other than drinking, smoking pot, bowl and walking around looking like he just rolled out of bed.

Idle Hands (1999)
This horror comedy immediately came to mind for this theme. Though it is not as if I remember anything about the movie (I saw it a very long time ago) other than the basic premise: slacker teen finds his hand is possessed.

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Ed who is essentially freeloading off his best friend, Shaun, spends his days lounging around, drinking and playing video games.

Bad Teacher (2011)
I was trying very hard to think of a movie that featured a female slacker and this is the only one I that I can think of that I've seen. Diaz plays the bad lazy teacher who cares nothing about actual teaching.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


8 comments:

  1. Bad Teacher was so bad I completely removed it from my memory haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen all four of your picks this week! Idle Hands is an inspired choice, I never would've thought of that. I didn't care for Bad Teacher but it fits here very well. Diaz and Timberlake had the most cringey chemistry alive in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of all four of these but the only one I've seen is title of the week The Big Lebowski. Jeff Bridges gets The Dude down perfectly but I didn't think much of the film outside of him.

    I've considered Bad Teacher but I'm not much of a Cameron Diaz fan so there was never a big pull for me.

    This one was tough, at least I found it so, but I hit upon a slothful character in literature-Rip Van Winkle and was able to find three very early films on him to make a theme within the theme.

    Rip Van Winkle (1896)-A series of shorts pieced together that tell the Washington Irving tale of layabout Rip Van Winkle (Joseph Jefferson-a star of the stage before during and after the Civil War who spent his later career touring endlessly in this play) who ambles into the Catskills and wakes up 20 years later having slept through the American Revolution! The narrative is choppy but how many films survive from before the turn of the last century?

    The Legend of Rip Van Winkle (1905)-Another short-14 minutes. Probably the most innovative version of the Irving classic taking into account the age of the film and what it sets out to do. French film pioneer Georges Méliès (who also plays the lead) uses movable sets and color to set the scene though without title cards it's hard to follow if you're not familiar with the story.

    Rip Van Winkle (1914)-This version at 58 minutes follows the story after Rip (played by Thomas Jefferson-son of Joseph Jefferson) awakens from his slumber and reacquaints himself with the world that passed him by include getting to know his daughter Meenie (played by Jefferson’s wife Daisy Jefferson) as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know of Rip Van Winkle but just vaguely. I've always thought he was a folk character rather than a literary one and had thought he had a long slumber because of some curse, you know like Sleeping Beauty, rather than from laziness.

      Delete
  4. I have seen Bad Teacher and. That is a great pick for this week. She is what a teacher should never be. The Big Lebowski is the popular choice this wek

    ReplyDelete

  5. Shaun of the Dead is such a great movie!
    Ah, I forgot to add my link. Dropping it here in case somebody notices. :D

    www.mettelray.com/thursday-movie-picks-seven-deadly-sins-edition-sloth/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...