Thursday, January 27, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #394: TMP Television Edition - 2021 Freshmen Series


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition -  2021 Freshmen Series

---


I’ve said this before in last year’s similar post, limited series cannot be included today. This TMP theme does refer to Freshmen, which means the first season, therefore a limited series with only one planned season is not the first of anything. Here are my favourite freshmen series of 2021.

Ginny and Georgia (2021 - )
This series follows a young single mom and her two children as she scams her way into building a new life in a new town and into its mayors heart. This has often described as Gilmore Girls with a twist (but without the fast talking) and I agree. This was fun. It began more like a teen/family drama but the mom’s back story and her present day maneuverings made this interesting.

Shadow and Bone (2021 - )
I can't really do a plot summary for this...there's lots going on. I really enjoyed this YA fantasy series, it is my favourite fantasy series from the last three years or so. While I have not read the book it was based on I found this adaptation far exceeded what I would ever expect a YA fantasy TV series could be. The world building is big and the series has high production value which is just impressive. I can’t wait for the second season and see what’s in store for the characters and see how their relationships develop.
 
The Chair (2021 - )
In this comedy, Sandra Oh plays a woman who is the first woman of color to chair a University’s English department, unfortunately it is a failing one. Out of my three picks today, The Chair is the only one where its renewal has yet to be announced…its fate is still up in the air. I do hope Netflix renews it. I found it very funny and I thought Sandra Oh was great as the new chair running around trying to save the department while juggling multiple crises.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm 0/3 with your picks this week, but I have heard of them at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been very surprised I've you haven't heard of them. They are on Netflix and some are quite popular.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any but 2 & 3 sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so bad in 2021... I saw none of these. Woah. Im trying to think if I saw any and I think I just watched Kdramas. Whoops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the opposite...I have not seen any KDrama series.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...