Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #26: Movies that feature an Irreparable Mistake




Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies that feature an Irreparable Mistake

---


I'm wondering if this week's theme is challenging because I didn't need ponder over my picks this time around seeing that my picks (The three will all be hidden gems picks and I'll also include one bonus) today are the movies that inspired the theme. Back in 2008 I watched a trio of movies all around the same time that coincidentally had characters making mistakes, irreparable ones. These movies stuck with me because they involved children in crimes/incidents that destroyed lives. You can't help but think their own lives too would forever have a before and after. An after, if they had a conscience, would be filled with deep guilt and regret. How terrible it is to know and carry such a thing so young.

As always in alphabetical order:

Boy A(2004)
Boy A has quite a controversy surrounding it; first the plot is somewhat similar with a real life crime that occurred in the 1990's and the other I suppose for depicting a person who committed a heinous crime as human. Boy A is indeed bleak and challenging and is I think a very well made movie featuring a great performance by Andrew Garfield as Jack the Boy A in the title. Jack is a young man recently released from jail and has a tough road ahead as he tries to reintegrate back into society and carry the weight of his crime.

Mean Creak (2004)
A couple of friends lure a bully to the woods to play a prank and humiliate him but buttons get pushed way too far and things don't go exactly as they plan. This movie is just so good especially the performances of the child actors and I hardly see it get mention anywhere. One of the memorable scenes in the movie is the one that is shown in the posters...just the shock horrified look on the kids.

Paranoid Park (2007)
Alex, a teenage skater, is involved in a terrible accident. We mostly don't know what it is but he is deeply affected by it and becomes distant and distracted. This movie is a slow one but it gets there. I actually thought that they weren't going to show the accident but it does and it is pretty horrifying. It's one of those movies that I'd never watch again because of that scene.

Bonus Pick:

Atonement (2007)
I thought I'd add a more well known and perhaps more accessible film for this theme as well. In Atonement, 13 year old Briony is an aspiring writer with an active imagination who makes a false accusation against her sister's lover for a crime due to a misunderstanding. At the time she did not  fathom the repercussions of her accusation and would live the rest of the life in regret and attempts to atone for her error in the only way she can.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---

Check out my past Thursday Movie Picks

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


14 comments:

  1. One of these is also on my list!

    I had a hard time deciding if my choices featured a 'mistake' or a 'poor decision', but I decided that they were kind of the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I think they can be the same thing too.
      I'm guessing it was Atonement?

      Delete
  2. Atonement is on my Blindspot list. I haven't seen any of the others.

    I actually meant to put together a list for this week but ultimately I got a bit too confused as to what qualifies as an "irreparable mistake". Hopefully I can get back in the action next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I left it open to interpretation so I am curious how everyone saw it as and what their picks are.

      Delete
  3. Mean Creek is an underrated movie. Glad to see some love for it. Atonement didn't quite do it for me. It wasn't bad, just didn't blow me away like it seemed to everyone else. Haven't seen the others, so thanks for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey so glad you've seen Mean Creek too.
      Hard for me to judge Atonement because I read the book first which I love so in comparison the movie did not blow me away as the book did but it was still I think a pretty good movie.

      Delete
  4. Atonement is on my list too. I went the more humorous route this week, but I absolutely adore the films you've picked. I've written about all three in my Indie Gem column before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really think of humourous titles so it's cool that you've managed to have some. And the main 3 are Indie flicks aren't they...I didn't even realised.

      Delete
  5. Interesting list, I've only seen Mean Creek and Atonement, love that movie, but the others sound intriguing. Your choice of Atonement put me in mind of my first pick since Vanessa Redgrave plays a small role in each.

    1. Howards End (1992): Mistake-Vanessa's family decides not to honor her last request. Result-All their lives are more or less ruined by the end.

    2. The Poseidon Adventure (1972): Mistake-If only the irresponsible Linarcos had listened to the Captain when he said they needed to take on ballast. Result-The big flip and an ever shrinking group of survivors.

    3. In Old Chicago (1937): Mistake-If only Mrs. O'Leary had tied up that cow. Result-Old Chicago is toast.

    By the way I watched Flypaper based on your mention of it last week. I liked it a great deal, it was outlandish but very entertaining. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watched your 1 and 2. But honestly I remember so little of Howard's End...just that Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson's characters had a very unhappy marriage.

      Glad you watch Flypaper and found it fun.

      Delete
  6. All of these movies sound great! I've only seen Atonement, which is gorgeous. Mean Creek is a title that always intrigued me, but I never checked it out. Need to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Atonement is such a gorgeous looking movie and you definitely have to check out Mean Creek.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for hosting this - I'm so glad I found it and can't wait to continue participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and hope to see more of you in the future.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...