Thursday, July 18, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #262: Blockbuster Flops



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Blockbuster Flops

---



It's summer and so it's the time for blockbusters. Not all of them end up successful so here's to them. My picks today are my latest watches.

Ghostbusters (2016)
Released in the summer of 2016, this new Ghostbusters wasn't able to win over audiences like the original. Though was the original Ghostbusters popular when it was released or was it only years after? I don't know. I actually don't remember much of the plot of the original Ghostbusters too...I haven't seen it in ages. Was it very childish? Because that was what I thought of the new Ghostbusters. That it was made for young audiences. Then there was the slime thing. Was that a thing in the original? Perhaps it was...and perhaps it worked then. But when I saw it in the new movie all it reminds me off is the Nickelodeon slime.  

Baywatch (2017)
A 2017 release, but released slightly before summer. I actually used to watch the Baywatch TV series as a kid though I can't remember much now. Just that there were lifeguards running and saving people. I totally didn't remember the whole thing about the lifeguards acting like they're police officers and trying to investigate crimes that occur on their beach, which this movie tries to both replicate and make fun off though quite unsuccessfully. I know it's suppose to be funny like look at how silly everything is, but the humor just doesn't land and so it just ends up being very silly.
 
The Mummy (2017)
Released in the summer of 2017, this was supposed to be the first movie in the new Universal's monster series of movies, that I think includes Frankenstein, Dracula, etc...Some big actors had also been cast as the leads in the future followup movies and I vaguely remember they had all posed for some movie magazine (Vanity Fair?) piece. Well now that The Mummy flopped...it seems the other movies are no gos, at least I haven't read anything about them still being in the works. Anyway since I've finally seen The Mummy now, I can see why it wasn't popular. It's quite boring. The action wasn't very fun and neither was it scary for a monster movie.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


12 comments:

  1. The original Ghostbusters was an enormous hit right off the bat and made a mint. That being said I didn't like it nor understand why it was so popular but people loved it. Because of my indifference I never bothered with the redo.

    I wasn't much of a Baywatch fan but I ran across the movie so I watched it. It was awful.

    I LOVED the Brendan Fraser version of The Mummy and saw no need for a remake add into that my dislike of Cruise and it was a skip for me.

    An alarmingly high number of choices for this! My first actually holds the record as the biggest money loser ever when adjusted for inflation though the other two took quite a bath.

    Cutthroat Island (1995)-Morgan Adams (Geena Davis) inherits her late buccaneer father's galleon and one-third of a map to buried treasure located on Cutthroat Island. The map had been tattooed on her father's scalp, and to find the treasure, she must locate and scalp his two brothers. But Morgan's swashbuckling uncle, Dawg Brown (Frank Langella), wants the treasure for himself, and does battle with his headstrong niece and her unwilling accomplice, Latin-speaking physician William Shaw (Matthew Modine). Really not a bad film, it’s no masterpiece but an okay action flick but its production was deeply troubled and delayed ending up costing somewhere in the vicinity of 115 million 1995 dollars and grossing merely 10 million in the States. Adjusted for inflation it is in the Guinness Book of World Records as the biggest money loser of all-time with a loss of $148 million. Star Geena Davis was married (not for long) to the film’s director Renny Harlin.

    Heaven’s Gate (1980)-In 1870 Jackson County, Wyoming a battle erupts between the area's poverty-stricken immigrants and its wealthy cattle farmers. Sheriff James Averill (Kris Kristofferson), tries to strike a balance but the politically connected ranch owners fight the immigrants with the help of mercenary Nathan Champion (Christopher Walken). While the battle rages Champion competes with Averill for the love of local madam Ella Watson (Isabelle Huppert). It’s nearly four hour runtime is a trial even though it has some beautiful images. Michael Cimino’s infamous follow up to The Deer Hunter was plagued by his ego run amok and cost overruns. Originally budgeted for 11 million (48 million today) its eventual cost of 44 million ($190 mill in current dollars) and box office take of only 3 million (12 million) caused the collapse of United Artists studio.

    Supernova (2000)-When Nightingale 229, a deep space hospital ship, answers an emergency distress signal from a distant galaxy, the crew (including James Spader, Angela Bassett, Robert Forster and Lou Diamond Phillips) soon finds itself in danger from the mysterious young man (Peter Facinelli) they rescue, the alien artifact he smuggled aboard and the gravitational pull of a giant star about to go supernova. Once again an extremely troubled production period (three directors came and went, the original director twice!) the film’s budget was 90 million (135 million today) and tanked on release taking in a little under 15 million (22 million) worldwide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they were trying to remake the Brendan Fraser Mummy franchise. From what I understand they were try to start a new modern franchise based on the classic Universal monster movies from like the like the 30s to 50s.

      Delete
  2. The original Ghostbusters did have slime....Bill Murray was in the hotel hallway and saw an ugly green spud who came at him and slimed him. I enjoyed the first one but haven’t seen This remake. I hated Baywatch and so had no desire to see the horrible flick. I love the Brendan Fraser Mummy so I had no desire to see the new one. I heard that they wanted to make a whole series but I’m kind of glad they scrapped it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did wanted a to make a series...but not like a Mummy 2 and 3...I think it was more like the second movie would be another monster from the classic Universal Monster movies.

      Delete
  3. I honestly haven't seen the original Ghostbusters, even though I grew up watching the cartoon series. I found the Baywatch movie to be too silly. And I haven't seen the recent Mummy movie, even though I enjoyed watching the Brendan Fraser version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a Ghostbusters cartoon? Don't remember that at all.

      Delete
  4. I only watched the original Ghostbusters after watching the remake, and I wasn't impressed. I loved the remake though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like the remake, so I have feeling that I might not like the original if I rewatch it.

      Delete
  5. I skipped all of these, though I did see parts of the Baywatch remake. I was never a huge fan of the original Ghostbusters so I didn't bother with the remake either and I usually avoid Tom Cruise movies so no Mummy either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...Tom Cruise is not well liked on this week's TMP.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the Ghostbusters remake but hated the other two with a passion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...