Thursday, September 8, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #426 Mystery Edition - Historical Mysteries


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Mystery Edition - Historical Mysteries

---


Second Mystery Edition. This a quite an easy one. Anything with a period setting. I'm picking as usual the most recent ones I've that I also liked.
 
Death on the Nile (2022)
I've only read two of Agatha Christie's books and I'm not really a fan. I especially do not like her smarty detective style novels of which Poirot falls into. So I did not like Murder on the Orient Express. I thought the mystery (which was clearly inspired by the Lindbergh kidnapping) was convoluted and stupid. *SPOILER* Why anyone who was not family (some were only ex servants/employees) want to get involved in some rich peoples' quest for violent justice and jeopardise their own morals and freedom, when the rich people would never do the same for them, and why the rich people didn’t simply hire a hitman...now that should be the real mystery. Anyway...so I was surprised that I liked the Death on the Nile movie. The movie’s mystery is much simpler: love, money and jealousy. It also had a much more fun setting, a river cruise ship.

Enola Holmes (2020)
I've picked this before and I'm picking it again because it is such a fun adventure mystery flick following Sherlock's little sister as she goes looking for her missing mother. The sequel is coming this November.

Elizabeth Is Missing (2019)
Maud is suffering from dementia and depends on reminders and routines to go about her day and when she isn't able to meet her friend, she thinks she has gone missing. Decades ago when Maud was a teenager, her older sister disappeared never to be seen again. Now Maud is confused and agitated. She can't tell if her friend is really missing or if she is superimposing her fragmented past memories of her sister's disappearance on the present. This was good, sad and well performed. It was quite heartbreaking watching Maud sift through her distant past and the recent ones trying to reorder her memories to make sense of it all. 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite as I love Agatha Christie and chose Orient Express but the original version. I have seen the original Death on the Nile but have yet to see the newer one. I haven't seen the other 2. The last one, I think I will pass because my mom had dementia and eve reading this made me think of her and how sad it was to see her slip away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...