Thursday, August 25, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #424 TMP Television Edition - Boarding School


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Boarding School

---


When I was a kid I thought it must be a wonderful adventure to attend a boarding school...I guess I was influenced by all those children's books that idealised romanticised boarding schools. Then I did kinda get to stay at one, because my school, which was just regular school, had some sort of thing with a boarding school so some of us had a chance to stay for a few days at a boarding school. For a short stint, it was ok, but no way would I have been okay going there full time. I like my after school hours to not be at school and I like watching TV too much, which I suppose at a such a place there would be a time limit so in reality boarding school would have been awful for me. Anyway...when I came up with this theme I must have had the impression that because I've seen plenty of boarding school movies, I must have seen plenty of boarding school TV series too. Turned out that's not true. I've seen very few and none that I love.
 
Fate: The Winx Saga (2021 - )
This is the live action adaptation of the Winx cartoon series about young fairies going to a boarding school to learn to use their magic which I have never seen before. It is aired on Nickelodeon and from the images I saw of the cartoons, seems like it is for very young kids. This live action series though seems more directed at tweens and older and it is actually not bad. Quite entertaining and not as juvenile as I thought an adaptation of a kids cartoon series would be, though I suppose it probably isn't as faithful? One criticism is that they seem to have a very tight budget and not enough for adult extras; the series takes place at a boarding school, but there are basically only 4 to 5 teachers that we see and hardly any school support staff. It's basically weird to see a show set in a school with so few adults even in the background non-speaking roles.

Tiny Pretty Things (2020)
Based on a YA book series following a girl who got accepted into an elite ballet boarding school when a place opened up for her after a ballet student got into a mysterious accident. The book was okay. The TV series was a little too raunchy and inserted a lot more drama, more cattiness and just more scandalous stuff. It just seemed like it was trying so hard to be a ballet school drama version of Gossip Girl/Pretty Little Liars.
 
Hex (2004 - 2005)
I saw this a long long time ago, so I can remember very little. Something to do with witchcraft and fallen angels and demons all set in a British boarding school. I think I found it quite entertaining. If you like Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Buffy or Angel, you would probably like this, though this is a little more raunchy. This was I think the first time I had seen Michael Fassbender in anything; he played the devilish fallen angel Azazeal and I had thought he was pretty menacing in it.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

4 comments:

  1. I've only heard of the Winx club of your picks. This week was a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week was a tough one:) I never even heard of your 3 but I might like to watch the one about the fairies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fate: The Winx Saga second season is out this month.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...