Thursday, August 18, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #423: Dark Academia



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Dark Academia

---

This is a genre rising in popularity in the literary scene and a book that is said to have inspired its popularity is Donna Tartt's The Secret History which I did not like (instead I'd recommend If We Were Villains). Anyway that has yet to be adapted so I thought it would be interesting to see what movies could fall in the Dark Academia genre which generally features idealised romanticised view of education in institutions with old often gothic architecture, great libraries, preppy uniforms, moody atmospheres and where things are not all warm and cozy as it appears on the surface. Here are the ones I like, and since I've picked them for other themes before and I'm lazy, I'm going to copy and paste some of my previous comments.

Cracks (2009)
Girls in a swim team look up to their swim teacher, the glamorous Miss G who charms them with romantic tales of adventure but the arrival of a new girl changes the dynamic of the team. I really like this one. It has very beautiful costuming and scenery which is a nice contrast to the dark turns the story eventually takes.

The Chocolate War (1988)
A boy rebels against his school's secret society by refusing to sell chocolate boxes for the school fund raiser and inadvertently escalates the power struggle between one of the society's leaders and the school's corrupt headmaster. Love the book and while the movie falls a little short, still a worthy watch. If you can't find the movie go read the book.

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)
On a day trip to Hanging Rock on Valentine's Day, a few students from a girls' boarding school and a teacher disappear. One of my favourites, which I have also read the book, and have picked the movie multiple times before. Similar to Cracks it has beautiful costumes and scenery but the story is more haunting and eerie.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad Cracks worked better for you than it did me. Picnic At Hanging Rock also didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to see Picnic at hanging Rock since it's based on a true story..a haunting mystery. I have not seen the others either...maybe one day. After explaining in better detail than google, I could have chosen The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie starring Maggie Smith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picnic at Hanging Rock is not base on a true story. It is just that the author wrote the beginning of the book in a such a way that left room for readers to make assumptions that it is based or inspired by a true story and the movie also followed in the same manner. This is I suppose is why the book and movie is quite popular; the assumption that it is a true mystery.

      Delete
  3. Picnic at Hanging Rock sounds so intriguing, I'll need to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I think it is a well reviewed movie too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...