Thursday, May 7, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #304: Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Envy



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Seven Deadly Sins Edition - Envy

---


Welcome back to the Seven Deadly Sins edition. I hope this edition has been fun for all and today we're on the fourth sin which is envy. I'm just going for whatever came immediately to mind.

Cinderella (2015) 
Cinderella's stepmother's cruelty is the result mostly of her jealousy; jealous that Cinderella possess beauty and intelligence that her own daughters lack and that she is so beloved and will always come first for her new husband. I really didn't like the costume choices for this movie, it looked cartoony and gaudy. What I did like was character development especially of Cinderella, the prince and her stepmother.

Dorian Gray (2009)
The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my favourite books. I've seen this and the 1945 version and I can't say I like either that much. However, if had to choose, I'll pick this 2009 version because I really dislike the Dorian in the 1945 one. So jealousy...Dorian, a handsome young man who becomes jealous of a painting of himself because it, unlike him, will stay young forever and so he makes an extraordinary wish.

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
A man is betrayed by his best friend who is jealous of his good fortunes. It was an ok movie.


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers



10 comments:

  1. Cinderella is a great choice though I didn't particularly care for this version. There's many takes on the book but I think my favorite is Ever After even if it plays around with the story a bit. The root idea is the same and envy is very much present.

    I like the Dorian Gray story as well but have never seen a version of it that really captured the book's spirit. Hurd Hatfield was a major problem of the '45 film but at least it had Angela Lansbury and George Sanders to distract from him.

    I though this version of Count of Monte Cristo was terrifically entertaining since it incorporated a lot of swashbuckling and pageantry with decent acting as well. Unlike Dorian Gray there are several good films made from the book.

    This turned out to be a bit tougher than I expected since I tried to make sure the main theme was envy and not jealousy.

    Purple Noon (1960)-Tom Ripley (Alain Delon) travels to Europe to visit his friend, wealthy layabout Phillipe Greenleaf (Maurice Ronet) and his fiancée Marge (Marie Lafort). What Phillipe doesn’t know is that Tom is being paid by Phillipe’s father to persuade his son to return home. Arriving in Italy he insinuates himself into their lives but when he is unsuccessful in his mission the father cuts him off. Seeing the lifestyle the pair lead Tom becomes consumed with envy as well as lust for Phillipe which he’s willing to acquire by any means he deems necessary. The basis for Matt Damon’s The Talented Mr. Ripley.

    Amadeus (1984)-Child prodigy Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Tom Hulce) is a vastly talented composer with the ability to create masterworks with little to no effort but also an immature undisciplined hedonist. He incurs the enmity of Antonio Salieri (F. Murray Abraham) who though he is the Viennese court composer is a middling talent. Consumed with envy Salieri becomes obsessed with Mozart's downfall but his schemes lead to dire consequences for both men. Loaded with great music, set design and performances both men were Oscar nominated with Abraham winning the statue.

    Single White Female (1992)-Having just broken her engagement from fiancé Sam (Steven Weber) Allison Jones (Bridget Fonda) advertises for a new roommate when Sam moves out. Mousy Hedra “Hedy” Carlson (Jennifer Jason Leigh) answers the ad, moves in and the young women quickly form a bond. But Allison doesn’t realize that Hedy is unstable and envious of her life which she slowly starts to imitate. When Allison begins to reconsider her engagement Hedy’s grip on reality slips away and Allison has the fight of her life on her hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember Sanders performance in the 1945 version but I did not like Lansbury as Sibyl Vane at all.

      Delete
  2. I didn’t mind this version on Cinderella Nd loved the costumes but I do like Ever After so much more and there is a Version of this timeless tale done in the 1970s that was from Russia that I watched and loved so. I love Oscar Wilde and so hard to capture the book. Even though I just wanted to slap Hurd Hatfield, I much prefer the 1945 version because I love George Sanders. I have to see The Count of Monte Cristo but I love the actors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ever After...it is my favourite Cinderella movie. However I chose this Cinderella movie because the stepmother really went into her reasons for hating Cinderella. The whole her new husband would never love her as much as he loved Cinderella. In Ever After, the stepmother simply said, how could anyone love a pebble in a shoe.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe neither Cinderella nor Dorian Gray crossed my mind. I wouldn't have picked neither though, especially the latter as I hated it. The 1945 version was so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went with a similar choice as Cinderella but different adaptations. I love this version of Cinderella though, Richard Madden, yaaas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Madden as the prince too and even Lily James, whom I have not liked in anything else, was good here.

      Delete
  5. Great picks! I still haven't seen The Count of Monte Christo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices! I actually just watched the trailer of The Count of Monte Christo which I saw ages ago, it's definitely perfect for this topic. Now you made me want to rewatch it again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...