Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #290: TMP Television Edition - 2019 Freshmen Series



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - 2019 Freshmen Series

---


Another theme I've been looking forward to. I've already mentioned a couple of 2019 freshmen series I like (The Politician, Evil and The Society) in previous TMPs, so I'm going to pick 5 more that I like that I have yet to mention before.

The Witcher (2019 - )
With Game of Thrones now concluded, The Witcher is primed to fill the fantasy void. How does it compare? Game of Thrones I loved from the first season, I suppose it was the whole political intrigue thing, which I tend to love and of course it has amazing characters. The Witcher, at least for its first season is more of a heroes' journey, which I am not as fond of, where we follow three of its main characters until their paths finally cross and I have to say I don't feel particularly invested in its characters just yet. However I think the series has potential, especially since the characters have finally met up, the story could now go in a much more interesting direction in season two.

Sanditon (2019)
I've read most of Jane Austen's finished novels and have watched the various movie and TV adaptations of them. Sanditon, if you've not heard of it yet, is based on Jane Austen's unfinished novel, one I have not read. So it was such a delight to have seen this TV series and experienced an Austen story for the first time in such a long time. The last episode of the first season had a sort of an open ending, and with the novel being an unfinished one, the series' writer certainly has a lot of room to expand the story beyond the original plot for the second season. Unfortunately it seems ITV, the original broadcaster in the UK, has cancelled the series back in December. Still, as it has only been shown in the US this year, I'm hoping with an increase in its number of fans, it will be picked for a second season perhaps even by a different outlet. 

Dead to Me  (2019 - )
Netflix it seems in 2018/2019 excelled in putting out comedic series (this series, along with After Life and The Kominsky Method) featuring characters dealing with grief. Dead to Me is more of a dark comedy, about a widow making a new friend at a grief support group not knowing that the friend is harbouring a shocking secret. This series is so unexpectedly good...I totally wasn't aware of what the series was about when I started watching, and was quite surprise by the dark turns it took, and yet the series was still able to be very funny. Can't wait for the next season.

After Life (2019 - )
This is the other series dealing with grief about a man struggling after the death of his wife and the only thing keeping him going is that his dog is dependent on him. I've like Gervais's other works like The Office and Extras and I think this is as good or perhaps better. It manages to balance being so sad without losing the humor.

Russian Doll (2019 - )
A woman attending her birthday party is stuck in a time loop where she ends up dying again and again. I really enjoyed this. It's fast paced, weird and darkly funny though I'm not really sure where the story is going. It is confirmed for a second season so I am going to lookout for it.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


13 comments:

  1. I haven't caught any of these but I've heard a lot of talk about The Witcher. There's so much on TV and with streaming, it's hard to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, especially since it's like the only fantasy series made recently

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen Sanditon and After Life but I like the others. Dead to Me kind of ... hit and miss to be honest. But I went with all non-Netflix shows just to mix it up and that narrowed my list A LOT! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dead to Me. I enjoyed how the secret was revealed in quite a suspenseful manner and it is darkly funny too.

      Delete
  3. I've only seen Russian Doll, which I really liked. Dead to Me is one I'm keen on starting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I forgot all about Russian Doll! I didn't have Netflix at the time it was released, I need to give it a go now I have access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Russian Doll months after it was released and now I'm glad I eventually did.

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any of these but I do plan on watching Russian Doll eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russion Doll is a great show.
    The Witcher as well, just finished watching it for the second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Witcher - Wow really, twice. Not quite a rewatch kind of season for me, but am still looking forward to season two.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen any of these but your last three picks are already on my watchlist. I only need the time to do it haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen any of these but I hope to one day especially Dead To Me and After Life since I love Ricky Gervais

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you're trying to lose pounds then you absolutely have to start following this totally brand new custom keto meal plan.

    To produce this service, certified nutritionists, fitness trainers, and chefs have united to provide keto meal plans that are useful, painless, money-efficient, and delightful.

    Since their launch in 2019, 1000's of clients have already remodeled their body and well-being with the benefits a great keto meal plan can offer.

    Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-certified ones given by the keto meal plan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...