Friday, October 27, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #172: Halloween/Television Edition: Horror


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three to five  movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of movies and tell us why you chose them. For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween/Television Edition: Horror

---


Hey it's October and the whole of this month I'm running the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the weeks.

October 5 - Halloween Edition: Masks
October 12 - Halloween Edition: Dolls
October 19 - Halloween Edition: Body Horror [Suggested by Myerla]
October 26 - Halloween/Television Edition: Horror 

First ever Halloween/Television edition, this is going to be fun. I'm picking favourites.

Being Human (2008-2013)
I feel like I have talked about this series somewhere here before, but since this is the first TV horror theme, I'm not quite sure when I would have. So anyway the gist, this UK series follows a ghost, a werewolf and a vampire sharing an apartment and them trying to hold on to their humanity. I have to admit, that plot summary sounded so so stupid the first time I heard it, but I had heard good reviews so I gave it a try and turns out I love it (there are five seasons, but I have only seen 3). It's a horror/drama series that is at times funny and often just so sad as well. If you like American Werewolf in London, definitely give it a try, even how the werewolf got turned reminds me a lot of that movie. 

Misfits (2009-2013)
This one follows 5 juvenile delinquents (about late teens/early 20-ish youths) who while doing community service gets hit by lightning during a freak storm and get some special powers. I know this sounds more like a superhero sort of series...it sort of is and sort of not just that too as it's mostly about characters trying to get a handle on their own powers; many can't control it which leads to disastrous horrifying consequences. Anyway love this series. Even when it wasn't that great in season 4/5 it was still pretty good. Like Being Human, it just balances drama with horror and comedy elements really well. And like Being Human, Misfit is also getting a American remake...so go and watch the original first.

Bates Motel  (2013-2017)
I have not seen the last season yet, but like the first three seasons. The series is a contemporary prequel to Psycho. In the first season, teenage Norman Bates and his mother is new in town and have just opened the Bates Motel. We see glimpses of the man Norman would become as the series progress and throughout it there's this sense of dread that Norman is going to destroy everyone around him.

The Vampire Diaries (2009-2017)
The gist, two vampire brothers, Stefan and Damon, vie for the affections of a human girl Elena, who looks very much like a girl they used to know more than a hundred years ago. It's a teen soap with vampires - my guess is most people won't give this a chance. Which is a pity, this series is soo much fun, totally bingeable. I've seen all the seasons except the last, and I think it's been consistently good. The world building and the mythology it creates for all the supernatural characters are great. Favourite character probably has to be Damon, the so-called bad brother, because he is so consistent, consistently selfish that is that even when he does a good, seemingly selfless deed, he does so because it benefits him to do so...and also, he has the best lines. 


---

So that's it...my three picks. What movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

12 comments:

  1. When Iwan Rheon got cast in Game of Thrones, I watched a few episodes of Misfits to see what he was like and it seemed like a pretty decent show.

    I have a friend who loved Vampire Diaries, she was pissed when the main girl apparently left the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't you watch the rest of Misfits...it's soo good. And yeah Iwan Rheon is great in it, his character is one of my favourites.

      Vampire Diaries - oh yeah, Nina Dobrev is the lead girl, I think she left to concentrate on movies. I didn't really mind as I like the other characters as well.

      Delete
  2. I have seen a bit and more of every show and I think Misfits is by far my favourite. "Save me Barry" is like my go to quote to my friend at times.. and who could forget Rheon's bum...mm.

    TVD also a good pick though the appeal of it was gone after Klaus left for The Originals.. I was like, meh, after that. Never did finish with that show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misfits - Haha...I think I can't forget Rheon's eyes...he has this sort of awkward also crazy sort of look which I think the Nathan character made fun of too.

      TVD - I'm not a big fan of Klaus...he was ok as the villain, but I was ok with him leaving. He did come back sometimes in the other seasons.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh I need to catch up with Bates Motel! The Vampire Diaries was a lot of fun, but I dropped a couple of seasons ago, it just lost me at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TVD - Aww...I did dropped off for a while too, then it got on a streaming service, so I got to pick up where I left off.

      Delete
  4. I've only seen a couple episodes of The Vampire Diaries. Let me rephrase that, I've seen couple of minutes of a couple episodes of The Vampire Diaries. I probably need to see more, but decided against it because what I saw felt way too Twilighty for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you thought it was Twilighty: vampires and love triangle. But beyond the surface level stuff it's not. The vampires and supernatural creatures in Vampire Diaries are a lot meaner and monstrous.

      Delete
  5. Never thought of Misfits as horror. Ah Being Human first series was great! Great show, great cast and the fact they were all roomates make sit even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misfits - yeah when I saw episodes like with video game and milk guy or the alternate history one...I thought this was the kind of stuff that could be on Twilight Zone.

      Being Human - Yes, the cast has great chemistry. The roommates bickering are often the funniest bits.

      Delete
  6. I used to watch The Vampire Diaries but then I stopped caring about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TVD - Aww that's too bad. I've found it to be pretty consistent, and it's one of those shows I can jump back in even when I haven't been following for a awhile.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...