Thursday, December 11, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #22: Movies that Feature a Family Secret




Hello and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks! Before we start, for new people who may have just wandered here, the rules of this weekly series is simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies that Feature a Family Secret


---



Family secrets can be so terrible that they devastate a few generations. When I came up for this topic, I felt sure I had watch a lot of such movies enough to warrant making it a topic for one of the weeks. However when it actually came to picking my three picks, two came easily to me but the third proved to be much harder. Still, I managed and what I came up finally is two hidden gems and one favourite.

Adore (2013)
Adore wasn't at all critically well received but I thought it wasn't that bad. Coincidentally I watched Adore around the same time as I watched The Oranges. They have a similar premise where a middle age person starts sleeping with their best friend's child. In The Oranges a man hooks up with his best friend's college grad daughter while Adore does a gender reversal where two women who are best friends sleeps with each other's teenage sons. While The Oranges went for a safer route being a dramaedy, Adore certainly explored more of the messiness of the secret affairs that destroys the couples' other relationships. 

August: Osage County (2013)
So this is the movie that spark the theme this week. And the family secret thoroughly surprised me....not as to what the secret was but that there was one because for most of the movie it was all about the tension between a mother and her three adult daughters who have returned home when a tragedy occurs. 

In My Father's Den (2004)
One of my favourite movies ever. So many pretty scenes! But the story and how it unfolds is just beautiful. In the movie Matthew Macfadyen stars as Paul a world weary war photographer who has returned home to New Zealand, after years away, for his father's funeral. Back home he reconnects with the people he left behind and even befriends his ex-girlfriend's 16 year daughter to the disapproval of everyone else. When the girl disappears, Paul becomes the prime suspect. Injected between the present time we see glimpses of Paul past which slowly paints the reason why he ran away from home so long ago, and ultimately revealing its ties to the current crisis. The secret and especially its devastating consequence is pretty mind-blowingly heart wrenching.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

6 comments:

  1. I've had Adore in my Netflix queue for awhile, but haven't gotten to it yet. In My Father's Den sounds interesting, but it's not on Netflix :(

    Are you going to be doing Thursday Movie Picks in 2015 as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think In My Father's Den got only a limited theatrical release so I suppose it also didn't get much of a dvd or digital release elsewhere which is pity since it's such a great movie. I'm glad I managed to get my hands on a dvd at a closing down sale.

      Yes I'm definitely doing Thursday Movie Picks in 2015. A post will go up probably Sunday with the new topics :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen any of these, so I will definitely look into them. I did picks myself this week. Great theme! Love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only seen August: Osage County. Thought it was only ok, but the performances are amazing. The others definitely sound interesting.

    Couldn't do one myself his week. Life stuff in the way. Should be good for next week. Looking forward to the continuation of this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. It's the reason why I'm only able to post one post a week the last few weeks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...