Thursday, February 10, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #396: Romance Tropes Edition - Famous Person and Non-Famous Person Romance


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Romance Tropes Edition - Famous Person and Non-Famous Person Romance
---
 
Hey it's February and it's time for the Romance Tropes Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month. 
 
February 3 - Romance Tropes Edition: Enemies to Lovers
February 10 - Romance Tropes Edition: Famous Person and Non-Famous Person Romance
February 17 - Romance Tropes Edition: Second Chance Love
February 24 - Romance Tropes / TMP Television Edition: Workplace Romance
 
 

I'm doing a theme within a theme and I don't think I've ever picked any of these movies before for previous themes.
 
Rock Star (2001)
I haven't seen this in like 20 years but I remember liking it. The gist is Wahlberg plays a guy playing in a tribute band when he gets scouted to replace the lead of a popular metal band and he now has to navigate his life and romantic relationship through his new rock star status. The whole rock star thing with Wahlberg playing a guy in one of those 90s long stringy hair rock band was fun and funny.

Music and Lyrics (2007)
Hugh Grant plays a man famous for being in a popular Wham-like band in the 80s, who is now a songwriter and has been paired with a lyricist to write a hit song for a pop princess. I don't really care much for the romance aspect of the story, but I thought the whole ex-80s pop star thing as well as them having to write for a Britney-like teen star was a lot of fun.
 
Beyond the Lights (2014)
I don't remember much of the romance aspect, but I think it was ok. What I did like was the scenes of  Gugu Mbatha-Raw being this pop star character and the story of her buckling under the pressure. Minnie Driver also plays the character's rather young mother who is the momager and has a lot of control over her life/career...both of the actors were great on screen together.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

7 comments:

  1. I honestly think Rock Star is pretty underrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. I remember when I saw it, I thought, how come no one told me this was fun.

      Delete
  2. I haven’t seen any of your picks this week. This one was kind of hard for me. I couldn’t even find 3 movies I liked. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should watch Beyond the Lights, it is a well reviewed movie.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen any of your pics but i may want to see Music & Lyrics even if it seems predictable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun, and the song the characters eventually write is quite catchy.

      Delete
  4. We match with Music & Lyrics - even though I still haven't actually seen the film 😅

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...