Thursday, May 20, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #358: Cyberpunk



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Cyberpunk

---

This was quite tough. I had a general idea of what cyberpunk was but had to look it up just to be sure. So basically it's "science fiction sub-genre where the protagonists, usually antiheroes, are trapped in a futuristic dystopian society dominated by computer technology". I'm picking three of my most recent watches that fit the sub-genre.

Upgrade (2018)
After an attack that killed his wife also left him a quadriplegic, Grey is offered a secret experimental operation where he receives a chip implant that allows him to regain his mobility. Disappointed that the police investigation of the attack that killed his wife hasn't gotten anywhere, now secretly mobile, he begins his own investigation. I really really like this. Great story and the action is very slick. I highly recommend this if you like dark futuristic Black Mirror-esque type of stories.
 
Mute (2018)
Set in the same world as Moon (2009), a mute bartender goes up against shady characters to find his missing girlfriend. This is a disappointing spinoff sequel. The crime drama story is so-so but my main complaint is that the story just isn't that embedded in the futuristic tech world and thus the setting seems unnecessary. The story could have worked just as well set in the present day.

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
 A current Blade Runner, K, discovers a secret that leads him to track the missing former Blade Runner, Deckard. Visually this movie is so stunning to look at. However, I don't feel as invested in the story and characters as I was in the 1982 Blade Runner.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

5 comments:

  1. We share Upgrade! I don't remember much about it but it was enjoyable. I've seen the other two as well but I wasn't a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We share Blade Runner! Mute made me so angry. I had such high expectations for that and it was an absolute dud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mute - I know right! It's because I like Moon so much.

      Delete
  3. I chose the original Blade Runner and really want to see this new one. You are the second to choose Upgrade and I would like to see this one as well.not too sure about your Mute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to see Upgrade! I've heard so many good things.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...