Thursday, March 18, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #349: Fake Identity


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Fake Identity

---

There's two ways to go for this theme: Teens using a Fake ID to buy alcohol or get into clubs or someone using a fake identity to conceal their real one. I'm going for the latter. My picks today are recent watches that I like featuring characters that use a fake identity. All of these movies the characters that use a fake identity are only revealed the earliest somewhere in the middle of the movie and the latest ones revealed only at the very end; so I will keep it all spoiler free.

Bad Times at the El Royale (2018)
Strangers descend at a hotel and bad things are about to happen. Everyone here looks shady from the beginning, so I totally thought a few were faking who they were.

The Invisible Guest (2016)
A wealthy businessman meets a lawyer, an expert in witness preparation, to prepare and build a defense for a trial where he is accused of murdering his lover. I really enjoyed this mystery thriller. It has a lot of fun twist and turns and I did not expect the fake identity.

Stonehearst Asylum (2014)
Based on a short story by Edgar Allen Poe - A new graduate, the alienist Dr Newgate arrives at Stonehearst Asylum to expand his training. He soon realises something is not quite right in the asylum.
I was already spoiled about some parts of it except for the revelation at the end which was a nice extra twist.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

9 comments:

  1. I think someone might have mentioned Eliza Graves in my comment section, at least there was a reference to a recent Edgar Allen Poe inspired movie!
    I haven't watched any of your picks yet, but I really want to get to Bad Times at the El Royale eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound interesting but unfortunately I haven't seen any of them.

    I tried to find three that looked at the false identity aspect in different ways.

    This Side of the Law (1950)-Picked up on a vagrancy charge wanderer David Cummins (Kent Smith) is bailed out by lawyer Philip Cagle (Robert Douglas) because he bears a remarkable resemblance to multi-millionaire Malcolm Taylor. As it happens Taylor is about to be declared dead after having gone missing seven years hence, if David will assume Taylor’s identity and convince his estranged family-wife Evelyn (Viveca Lindfors), brother Calder (John Alvin) and sister-in-law Nadine (Janis Paige)-that he is truly the missing man Cagle will pay him five thousand dollars. What seems like easy money quickly spirals into a web of deception and murder.

    The Man Who Never Was (1956)-During WWII as Britain mobilizes to invade Sicily, intelligence agent Ewen Montagu (Clifton Webb) conceives a diversionary scheme to lead Germany to believe the true target is Greece. Creating the false identity of Major William Martin for a young man with no family who recently died of pneumonia (giving the appearance of drowning) Montagu plants phony top secret documents on the body and arranges for it to wash ashore in Spain. While Hitler believes the information German undercover agent Patrick O’Reilly (Stephen Boyd) is skeptical. His suspicions risk exposing the deception.

    The Great Imposter (1961)-Young Ferdinand Demara Jr. (Tony Curtis) quits high school to join the Army with hopes of becoming an officer but finds his lack of education stands in his way. His solution is to fake papers as an officer in the Marines but eventually his lie is detected. On the run he assumes the identity of a Trappist monk. In time though he again must flee and as the years pass Demara impersonates a sailor, prison warden, teacher and doctor as his journeys take him around the globe. This is based on a true story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but I've at least heard of the first one. Really gonna need to watch that one, El Royale one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggled with this week's theme so I'm interested to see what everyone else went for. I've heard of your first choice, but the second and third are new to me. I like Poe's writings so will try and watch Stonehearst Asylum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only seen El Royale, which I liked but didn't love. But I agree, everyone was shady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same I didn't love it too...but did like it.

      Delete
  6. Hey, you seemed to be late this week and I finally see your blog post now. It’s Saturday...just so you know. Anyhoo, I have only seen the last film Which I really liked, it was dark but well done. I wanted to see the second film for sure and don’t know the 2nd pick but I want to see it. I like these mystery type of films.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I was late, don't really care though. I've never really checked when people post their TMPs. As long as it's Thursday or after and not earlier it's fine. Plus the link submission has always been opened until the following Wednesday for late posters.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen any of these though I've heard of Stonehearst Asylum. You got me intrigued on The Invisible Guest now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...