Thursday, March 11, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #348: Movies That Haven't Aged Well


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies That Haven't Aged Well

---

This week's theme is a suggestion by Getter. This is a great theme. Haven't we all seen a movie and think "this won't age well; 10 years from now it would look terrible". The only problem is I rarely get to rewatch movies so I don't actually get to see if it is true years later, so I am having trouble finding picks today.

Avatar (2009)
I did not see this in IMAX 3D. I saw this on a DVD rental at home a few months after it's theatrical release. Even then I think it's already started to age with its over reliance on visual effects. Without the supposedly stunning visuals of IMAX 3D experience this movie was so meh with its mediocre story. What is it other than a mash up of a Pocahontas and FernGully story. I can't believe Disney is making 4 more Avatar movies. Does Avatar really have a strong fan base? Is anyone really pining for them? 

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
This was quite popular when it came out but I only saw it in 2016 and I didn't like it. I think we're suppose to laugh at these ridiculous sexist male characters in the seventies as if it was a thing of the past and society have progressed to a better inclusive and respectful version. Then of course in 2017 and 2018 #MeToo and #TimesUp movement happened...and duhh...say all women...not quite a thing of the past issit? So yeah Anchorman has not aged well...and is so obviously written by men.
 
Blade (1998)
I saw this in the late 90s on a rental and liked it a lot. In the mid 2000s I rewatched it and yes the visual effects did not aged well. However I still think it's a fun vampire action movie. By the way, Blade is getting a reboot which will be part of phase 5 of the MCU with Mahershala Ali playing the title role and apparently it will be a PG13 movie. Initial thoughts on the reboot: Not sure how old Blade is suppose to look but I had thought they would go for someone younger in the reboot if they were going to have more than one movie. Snipes was in his mid-30s when he was Blade and Ali is now in his mid-40s. And why is a vampire movie PG13? 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

5 comments:

  1. I have so much hate for Avatar lol. Anchorman I still have a soft spot for, even though I agree the characters are incredibly sexist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did find Anchorman funny and I like Will Ferrel movies no matter how stupid. I hate Avatar and found it like some westerns, good guy falls for native gal and does his best to save the native Americans but these guys are blue...big whoop. James Cameron is a lover of special effects and doesn’t care about the actors and the plots usually suck. Let’s face it Titanic was the Love Boat sinking. Blade is still fun and I kind of like the old fashioned way of special effects. The CGI has taken away a lot nowadays. I do like Ali somit will be interesting to see how he does,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understood the hype for Avatar. It's a grossly overrated franchise that certainly did not need a sequel, let alone four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Avatar in 3D in cinemas and it was stunning for the first time, especially since I hadn't seen many well done 3D movies at the time. But the story ... it's nothing new? And it's not even well done, but just a way to try and compensate for a colonial past ... by just doing it again on a different planet?? I don't understand how there are going to be four more movies of it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen Avatar in such a long time but I remember thinking "this looks so familiar" the whole time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...