Thursday, August 27, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #320: TMP Television Edition - Prequels



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five titles and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Prequels

---


Prequels are the new sequels on TV. I've found that even though I have seen a couple of prequel series, I've only seen a few episodes of them before dropping the series, like Smallville and Gotham. Here are TV series prequels that  I've watched at least one season.

Fear the Walking Dead  (2015 - )
A prequel of The Walking Dead it takes place in Los Angeles at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse while Rick is in a coma in Atlanta. I started watching this when I was already feeling the zombie fatigue. While the first season of this was okay, it was nowhere near as good as the first season on The Walking Dead so I didn't watch the second season seeing that it could possibly follow the downward trajectory of The Walking Dead.

Castle Rock  (2018 - )
This is somewhat of a prequel. It features characters and locations from various Stephen King novels. Some of the characters are actually older than the same ones we meet in the novels/adaptations while others are younger...hence the prequel like story. In particular is the second season where one of the main characters is the younger Annie Wilkes from Misery. We get some of her childhood backstory before meeting her as a young mother battling mental illness arriving in Castle Rock with a teenage daughter at the start of season 2. And the season even ends with her attending an unseen author's book event who she's already started to obsess over.

Bates Motel  (2013-2017)
This is both a prequel and a sort of re-imagining of Psycho. It follows the mother Norma and the teenage Norman Bates when they first open the Bates Motel up until Norman is a young man and culminating in season 5 where we finally get to see most of the events in Psycho play out. I really like this series, it is the only one out of today's picks that I have seen all the seasons and would recommend it to those that like the movie. It was both sad and frightening to see how Norman's mental instability got worse and worse over the seasons with terrible consequences for the people around him.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

6 comments:

  1. I stopped watching Fear the Walking Dead after the second season. The first one wasn't great and I wasn't that invested but I wanted to give the show another chance and watched the second too. Still wasn't a fan so I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bates Motel is a great pick. Wish I had thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually really liked the first season of Fear The Walking Dead, but I stopped watching during the second because I expected the series to be way more about the early days before the ZA happened, and then they just ended up doing the same thing The Walking Dead does, which has been awful for years.

    I was curious about the second season of Castle Rock but I hated how the first one ended so much it put me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a hard theme. I have heard of these prequels but have only seen a few episodes of the first and third so... I just went completely off the tracks with my post this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not seen any of these but have heard of them. I was tempted to watch Bates but everything just seems so dark and hopeless which I just don't like

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bates Motel is one that I need to finish.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...