Thursday, December 24, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #76: Holiday/Vacation Movies




Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Holiday/Vacation Movies

---


Ahh it's the time of the year when the shopping malls are crowded and TV channels are showing awful made-for-TV movie. Here are my picks for holiday vacation movies you could watch instead:

Roman Holiday (1953)
This is on my 2015 Blindspot, and even though I haven't really made much effort in seeing the movies in that list, I've managed to see this. It's a very sweet charming movie; I really enjoyed it. Audrey Hepburn had the best make over look in this movie, her haircut was just so gorgeous. By the way, in real life, hairdressers do, do that; ask you over and over again if you want it that short if you came in with really long hair. Oh and I like the ending, it really is a modern fairytale.

Austenland (2013)
The gist of the story is a woman obsessed with Pride and Prejudice goes on a holiday at a Jane Austen theme park hotel. Having read both books, I was so looking forward to this adaptation. Well I was disappointed. I didn't like the comedic aspects. It was a little on the slapstick side which I don't find funny and also a little too much cheese. But if you're an Austen fan, you probably can't resist seeing this anyway. Now I much prefer the TV mini-series Lost in Austen which has a somewhat similar plot but is so much more sweeter and was really charming and funny.

In Bruges (2008) 
So this is sort of a holiday movie. Two hitmen are asked to lay low in Bruges after a badly done job. The older of the men wants to do the touristy stuff while they wait, but the depressed younger one reluctantly takes in the sights. This movie is just so darkly funny and awesomely good. So drop that bad TV movie and check out In Bruges.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

9 comments:

  1. I've only seen In Bruges and that's a phenomenal movie. One of Colin Farrell's best performances. He was just outstanding. So is the rest of the cast. And yes, darkly funny is a perfect way to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I love the scene where they negotiated how they should go about their duel without anyone else getting hurt. That was just so funny.

      Delete
  2. I love Roman Holiday-so beautiful and such a bittersweet ending. I have not see the Austenland film but I have seen In Bruges and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but it's sort of perfect isn't it. It made sense that she wouldn't just run off and the guys keeping her secret is just sweet.

      Delete
  3. Just saw Austenland within the month and thought it was a sweet inoffensive little movie, silly and minor but pleasant. In Bruges should be better known, so quirky and fun. If Colin Farrell couldn't get awards recognition for his work in this I despair of him ever getting any. He's wonderful. Love Roman Holiday! Both Audrey and Gregory Peck are effortlessly charming and the setting is captivating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Lost in Austen? I think you might like it since you seemed to have enjoyed Austenland.

      Delete
  4. I love that you went with In Bruges, that's such a great film. Roman Holiday is nice too, but I've never seen Austenland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austenland isn't great, but it is tolerable. Now I sort of wonder how an audience unfamiliar with Austen's work or the Regency period would find it.

      Delete
  5. Excellent picks! In Bruges is a masterpiece, the set up, the characters and the dynamite dialogue. Austenland is ridiculous and rather demeans the Brits but its good ridiculous fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...