Thursday, August 6, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #56: Alien Invasion of Earth



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Alien Invasion of Earth

---


So remember like two weeks ago we had a science fiction theme with a no space or aliens caveat? Well that's because of today's theme of Alien Invasion. Basically I'm trying to cover all the sub sub-genre for Thursday Movie Picks.

The Thing (1982)
I really enjoyed The Thing. The isolatedness and harshness of Antartica adds to the scariness of a shape shifter embedded in a team of scientists, planting the seeds of suspicion and have them fear and distrust each other. Perfect ending too.

Signs (2002)
I like Signs. It was atmospheric, mysterious and had really good performances by the kids. I like it up till the revelation at the end which just seems weak and lacking.


The Faculty (1998)
The Faculty is sooo much fun. If you haven't seen it, go do it now! The gist of the story is that alien organisms have taken over control of a small town high school faculty as a starting point for an invasion. The only people to stop them are an odd mix of teens consisting of the school jock, popular girl, bad boy, goth girl, geek and new girl who have noticed the faculty's odd behaviour. The movie has a really fun cast too especially for you know...the faculty. 

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

15 comments:

  1. The only one of these I've seen so far is The Thing, which was a pretty good movie. I even got John Carpenter himself to sign my DVD copy. I considered putting it on my own list but I already used it in a previous week so I had to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's cool. A nice DVD set I hope. Can't stand DVDs that have ugly packaging, badly produced and with no special features.

      Delete
  2. I've seen all three of these. The Thing is excellent and The Faculty was just fun. Have to confess on Signs. I hate that movie. It's the one that started my hatred of M. Night Iamasham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen The Faculty, but it sounds like a hoot.! :-) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike again - Signs - great film. I've actually never seen The Thing, too scared to. I was surprised too about The Faculty too, quite enjoyed it, slight tiwst on Breakfast Club gang set up, but I have to admit, I saw it by accident one late night not realising the story or plot. Too scared to tear myself away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen The Thing and Signs. The Thing is quite gross but when the man's head drops off the table and then walks away made me laugh. Signs is quite good and I actually had a client who believed he was taken by aliens, had a magazine made out of tin foil and he had tin foil in his cap...poor guy. I have not see The faculty but it sounds intriguing-like The Breakfest Cub meets Alien pods

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen all of them! And The Thing was the strongest one and the creepiest.
    Signs was a half-decent movie, cause I think the ending was overwhelming.
    The Faculty was, I think, funny in some ways. Yet, I loved the cast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I also picked The Faculty. I've seen all three picks, and the only one I really hate is Signs. I just couldn't with that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Faculty! Me too! I can't believe I wasn't the only one. I also liked Signs, I agree that the build-up was so much better than the last twenty minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all these pics! Like seeing The Faculty pop up. It's such an underrated teen flick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Signs is so fun and funny.... and then that stupid, STUPID ending. Oh, M. Night. Such talent, squandered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good choices. I liked Signs the best of the three but will join in the chorus that the ending was disappointing. The Faculty was fun for a while and then got rather dumb too but what a great cast, all approaching the material with the proper spirit which helped greatly. The Thing was decent though once was enough, I felt the same way about the original The Thing from Another World.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I picked The Faculty as well. Great pick! And I love Signs. Love it! Shyamalan needs more respect, if you ask me. His movies are cool as shit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad we have one thing in common here! Signs is one of my faves from M. Shyamalan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...