Friday, December 19, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #23: Coming of Age Movies




Hello and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks! Before we start, for new people who may have just wandered here, the rules of this weekly series is simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Coming of Age Movies


---



There's an abundance of male coming of age movies so I decided to challenge myself and go for female coming of age picks.

This isn't Carey Mulligan's first movie (you may remember her as Kitty in the movie adaptation of Pride and Prejudice) but this is her breakout role and she is pretty fantastic in it. In An Education, Jenny foolishly decides to forgo her education so that she can live the life of a fabulous married woman.

It's been such a long time since I've seen this but I remember liking it a lot. It also stars a young Reese Witherspoon as Dani who discovers love, jealousy and lost the summer before her older sister leaves for college.

Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995)
I had trouble coming up with a third pick as always. In the end I went with this even though it has a much younger protagonist than the typical coming of age tale. Plus I thought it really is good. It's a painful tale of a socially awkward preteen, played wonderfully by a very young Heather Matarazzo, who is ill treated by her peers and ignored by her self absorbed parents

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, The Man in the Moon is so great! Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't finished The Man in the Moon though I liked the parts I've seen so far. I haven't seen Welcome to the Dollhouse but I've heard great stuff about it. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Man in the Moon is an excellent movie, great choice. Haven't heard of the other two but I'll look them up the next chance I get.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! You're right about more of these movies being about boys, so I'm glad you chose ones with girls. Welcome to the Dollhouse is actually on my Blind Spot list next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! There should be more female coming of age movies and I'm looking forward to that Blind Spot post.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...