Thursday, May 11, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks #453: Period Drama



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Period Drama

---

I’m simply selecting the last three movies I saw the first half of the year.

The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021)
I read Macbeth as a teen, not for school but on my own so I wasn’t able to fully understand; Shakespeare’s language is a challenge for me. A few years ago I saw the movie with Fassbender in the title role, I got the gist of it but not all of it and still didn’t quite get why it is such a popular play. I was apprehensive watching this new one but decided to just give it a go and it finally clicked…I finally understand it. I do like the movie as a whole, the story the way it was presented here made someone like me who doesn’t understand Shakespeare’s language understand it easily. The visuals: it was shot in black and white with great use of light and shadows and the set was stunning…I love the minimalism and the whole gothic expressionist architecture…it was, looking at IMDB, all filmed in the studio. Performance was generally so-so for everyone…Denzel was great in some parts and moderate in others. I think both leads are older than the age the characters are suppose to be so that made some of the lines not quite work when uttered by older actors.
 
The Pale Blue Eye (2022)
The mystery is a bit thin though still a decent enough gothic horror movie. I do highly recommend to watch the movie for the visuals. The wintry landscape was just beautiful and filmed in such an atmospheric, melancholic and eerie manner.

The Banshees of Inisherin (2022)
This brought back McDonagh as writer/director and costars Gleason and Ferrell together again who all worked on In Bruges. I love In Bruges, so I wanted this to be great, unfortunately this was quite disappointing for me, it was just so-so, others though seem to love it as this is a well reviewed movie. 
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

6 comments:

  1. I'm sad to hear you didn't enjoy Banshees of Inisherin - I loved that movie.
    I need to watch The Pale Blue Eyes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't care for The Pale Blue Eye, but I loved your other two picks. I'm sorry Banshees didn't work for you! It was my favorite of last year. I was surprised how well this version of Macbeth worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macbeth - Me too obviously when I expected to be just as lost as before.

      Delete
  3. I’m just not into Shakespeare….I know, I feel like should have less brain cells for saying that. I am not a MacBeth fan as so many people are but I rather like King Lear. I’d like to see the the Christian Bale film but I’m not a fan of Banshees. It’s well acted and the cinematography is excellent but I found the plot of the guy taking off his fingers….stupid. There had to have been another way to get the point across. Just, dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s Birgit

      Delete
    2. I suppose I generally don't enjoy Shakespeare mostly because I just don't understand the language therefore I don't understand what's going on. The ones I do understand, through the adaptations, I've enjoyed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...