Thursday, July 14, 2022

Thursday Movie Picks #418: Non-English Language Movies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Non-English Language Movies

---


I haven't watched that many non-English movies the past year but these are the ones I like. There were all movies from the 2000s that I had been wanting to watch for a while and finally got to when they all got added to Netflix recently.

The Eye (2002)
[Cantonese and Thai] A blind woman gets a cornea transplant and soon realises she can see ghosts. There were quite a lot of horror movies coming out of Asia in the late 1990s and early 2000s that got pretty popular. This was one of them but it was one that I had yet to see until the past year. It's aged a little but still a good watch. Not too scary with a decent amount of scares and quite sad too.

April Snow (2005)
[Korean] A man and a woman meet in the hospital when their spouses are involved in a car collision. They soon learn their spouses were having an affair and start to bond over their shared plight. This reminds me so much of In the Mood for Love (which I love) in terms of the basic premise. That was a very stylish artsy movie with beautiful costumes, score and cinematography. April Snow is more subdued, sombre and also feels more grounded because it's just not as artistically pretty. It's the story of two people who are informed that their spouses are seriously injured and that they may never wake up from their coma and are very soon confronted with the realisation that their spouses were cheating on them. They have to cope with a mix of emotions from sadness over the injuries and hurt and anger over the infidelity and yet through it all they dutifully visit and care for their spouses at the hospital and cover up the infidelity from the rest of the family. I thought the movie does the interactions of the lead male and female character very well from their first meeting to their eventual relationship filled with quite a lot of understandably awkward moments - what does one say to the wife of the man your wife is having an affair with? Out of my three picks today this is my favourite. I do love a good quiet drama. Words are sparse but thoughtful, actions are restrained but meaningful, nothing is wasted.
 
The Host (2006)
[Korean] A family desperately tries to rescue their youngest member that had been snatched by a mutant amphibious creature which emerged from the Han River.  I remember this was really popular when it came out. I'm not really a fan of creature features so I wasn't going to spend actual money on it. Still I wanted to see it out of curiosity so waited around for it to get on TV or Netflix. So I finally saw it. It is pretty entertaining. Much better than the Godzilla and King Kong movies coming out of Hollywood in recent years. The Host is a mix action, drama, horror with a dash of humor.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

4 comments:

  1. I've only seen The Host from your picks. It was fun, though on the lower end of my Bong Joon-ho movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Parasite, so for me I like both The Host and Mother quite equally.

      Delete
  2. I missed the link this week...I blame colonoscopy. I gave not seen any but they intrigue me. I like a ghost story as long as it's intelligent. The 2nd pick reminded me of Shania Twain. Even though her husband snd best friend were not in car accidents, Shania & her best friend's husband got together and she is now married. I actually have heard of the Host..just not sure yet if I want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about the Shania Twain drama.
      I thought you do not like horror? If so, I wouldn't recommend The Eye because there are some jump scares.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...