Thursday, June 3, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #360: Oscar Winners Edition: Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Oscar Winners Edition: Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay 

 ---


 Here are my favourites:

 

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Dead Poets Society (1989)
Childhood favourite. It's about a group of people meeting to talk about literary stuff of course I liked it.
 
Gosford Park (2001)
I think I saw this the first time when it was released on DVD and thought it was the most boring thing ever; like what were these dull old timey people doing. I guess I had been too young to pay any attention to it. A few years later I decided to give it another try and loved it. It's this sharp and often darkly funny upstairs downstairs drama and murder mystery that takes place in a manor house. Also it has a great ensemble cast.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
It's has this super weird but unique premise that I thought I wouldn't like but I did. It's this great funny, quirky, quite sci-fi-ish and emotional movie about a man trying to forget an ex-girlfriend and then later trying desperately to hold on to his memories of her.

 

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
 
A Man for All Seasons (1966)
I like dialogue heavy movies and this having been adapted from a play is just that as it follows Thomas More trying to navigate the political minefield of sticking by his principles without offending the king and losing his head.
 
The Departed (2006) 
I've said this before, mob movies bore me but this tension filled adaptation of a Hong Kong film was interesting and thrilling to watch.

The Social Network (2010)
Adapted from a book about the founding of Facebook, this was adapted by Sorkin so of course it was sharply written and had entertaining verbal sparrings. 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear Gosford Park is good as I've been meaning to watch it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of these, The Social Network, The Departed and Eternal Sunshine are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Gosford Park which was quite entertaining and surprising.i haven’t seen Spotless Mind yet but will one day. I finally saw Dead Poets which was very good and enjoyable. The Departed is a tense film that truly is a great movie. A Man For All Seasons is excellent and brilliant. I hate...hate Social Network. I found it boring, irritating and can’t stand the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen all but 2 and 4. 1 and 5 are probably my faves. Last one is... genius though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...