Thursday, February 11, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #344: Romance Tropes Edition - Friends to Lovers



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Romance Tropes Edition - Friends to Lovers

---
 
Hey it's February and it's time for the Romance Tropes Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month. 
 
February 11 - Romance Tropes Edition: Friends to Lovers
February 18 - Romance Tropes Edition: Forbidden Love
February 25 - Romance Tropes / TMP Television Edition: Love Triangles
 


Well this should be quite easy as there are plenty of titles to choose from. Here are three that I like:

P.S. It was brought to my attention by Sonia that the July 8 theme was missing. I've just now added Female Athletes as the theme for that date. You can check the TMP page for the updated schedule.

Yesterday (2019)
After an accident, a struggling musician wakes up to an alternate world where The Beatles doesn't exist. I was really wanting to love this and although I didn't quite love it, I still enjoyed it. It was cute and fun. If you love The Beatles and just pop music in general I think you'd enjoy this too. There's also a side romantic story where the main character has a best friend who's supported his journey as a musician. However, as he becomes more successful it puts a strain in their relationship and he comes to realize that there is something more than a platonic friendship between them.

Something Borrowed (2011) 
A little drunk after a few drinks, a woman admits to her friend from law school that she had always had a crush on him, the same friend who is now the fiance of her best friend. I haven't seen this in a long time but I know I'm in the minority in that I enjoyed this movie.
 
We Don't Live Here Anymore (2004)
Two sets of couples are friends and each of the spouses is having an affair with the other's spouse. I saw this once a long time ago so I don't remember much other than I like it and thought it was a good drama about some very messy entanglements.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 


7 comments:

  1. I wanted to like Yesterday SO BADLY but I just didn't overall. The two leads however were delightful. I loved them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still enjoyed it and yeah I thought the characters were cute together.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Yesterday but I want to check out. Something Borrowed was cute for the cast, but I can't remember much else about it. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but I've been meaning to watch Yesterday since it hit theatres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these but i would like to see Yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something Borrowed was a fluffy, silly nothing of a film but painless enough.

    We Don't Live Here Anymore was a misery watch for me. I really like Mark Ruffalo but many of his movies are rough going.

    I want to see Yesterdays but haven't gotten to it yet.

    You're right this week was pretty easy to come up with three.

    The Wedding Singer (1998)-Nice guy Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler) is a wedding singer at a small hall in 80’s New Jersey who is about to marry Linda (Angela Featherstone) when he meets server Julia (Drew Barrymore) who has just started at the venue. Julia is engaged to Glenn (Matthew Glave) and they strike up a friendship over that mutual fact. But when Linda dumps Robbie on the eve of their wedding he falls apart and Julia trying to help him get back on his feet asks Robbie to help plan her upcoming nuptials. As they work on the plans Robbie realizes that not only is Glenn an enormous tool but that he's falling for Julia who subconsciously is doing the same. Will they realize their true feelings in time? Probably Sandler’s sweetest, least abrasive film packed wall to wall with fun 80’s music and fashions.

    The Full Monty (1997)-When hard times fall on an English town a group of men on the dole including Gaz (Robert Carlyle), Dave (Mark Addy), Lomper (Steve Huison) and Guy (Hugo Speer) form a male strip revue. Out of desperation to pull in crowds they promise to go “the full Monty”. Though they run into many hurdles, some comic and others serious, eventually they prevail, along the way buddies Lomper & Guy realize they’ve fallen for each other and end up a couple.

    Hands Across the Table (1935)-Manicurist Regi Allen (Carole Lombard) works at a swanky hotel hunting for a rich husband. She thinks she’s found a plum pigeon in Theodore Drew III (Fred MacMurray), since he comes from a prominent family but finds out he’s as broke as she is since the stock market crash. They become friends though and decide to help each other in their gold digging. Regi meets wealthy hotel guest Allen Macklyn (Ralph Bellamy), who falls for her while Ted is waiting for Vivian Snowden (Astrid Allwyn) the heiress he has on the hook to return from Bermuda so he can hop back on the gravy train. All seems smooth sailing but as feelings between Regi and Theodore develop, their careful plans start to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen The Full Monty but have totally forgotten about Lomper & Guy falling for each other.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...