Thursday, September 17, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #323: The Band

 

 


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is The Band

---

 
I think we've had a similar theme but for biopics...so this time I'm picking all movies featuring fictional bands.

Sing Street (2016)
I didn't like it as much as Once but it was still pretty charming like the scenes where they were trying to make a music video.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
It's this odd and funny movie and I enjoyed the rootsy folksy music it featured. The band here is the escaped convicts that call themselves The Soggy Bottom Boys.
 
That Thing You Do! (1996)
It's been a super long time since I've seen this so I'd love to see this again. I remember liking it, finding it sweet and funny.
 
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


11 comments:

  1. Didn't see your first pick, but That Thing You Do was one that immediately came to my mind. Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a great pick and it is a wonderful film as well. That one probably would never have occurred to me.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Brother Where Art - I suppose the whole them escaping from prison thing sort of eclipsed the small part that they took time during their escape to perform as a band...I think they made a record or the performance was aired live on the radio.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE That Thing You Do! So breezy and chipper for most of its run with fun music, good performances and almost day-glo colors.

    I liked Oh Brother but not as much as the other. It has a definite point of view and distinctive look.

    I haven't seen the first one.

    I came up with these three:

    Alexander’s Ragtime Band (1938)-In San Francisco near the turn of the last century concert violinist Roger Grant (Tyrone Power) abandons classical music when he falls under the spell of jazz much to his family’s disapproval. Circumstances lead to him renaming himself Alexander and forming a ragtime band with buddy, pianist Charlie Dwyer (Don Ameche) and singer Stella Kirby (Alice Faye) who both men love. Two decades, and a flock of great Irving Berlin songs, pass as they reach the heights of success even as their love lives founder.

    Strike Up the Band (1940)-Teenagers Jimmy Connors (Mickey Rooney) the drummer of the band he leads and his girlfriend, singer Mary Holden (Judy Garland) dream of winning a contest for school bands hosted by popular band leader Paul Whiteman. There’s just one hitch, the contest is in Chicago and for the band to take the train they need $200 (the equivalent to almost $3,800 today). They borrow the cash but when one of their number becomes seriously ill the money has to be used to help out. What to do now? Why put on a show of course!!! Mickey’s on the unctuous side but Judy is appealing and sings like a dream.

    The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band (1968)-The Bower Family Band (including Buddy Ebsen, Lesley Ann Warren and Kurt Russell) are newly arrived in Dakota Territory just as statehood talk is at its peak and the 1888 battle between Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland for the presidency is in full swing. The Bowers are Republicans as are most of the other residents of their new town but Grandpa Bower (Walter Brennan) is a staunch Democrat which causes no end of trouble for the clan. All the strife doesn’t keep them from breaking into elaborate musical numbers from time to time in this Disney flick. In the small role of the “Giggly Girl” Goldie Hawn makes her screen debut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of your picks.

      Oh yes I remember That Thing You Do! being cheery and I like the whole 60s thing.

      Delete
  3. I still need to see That Thing You Do, but I love the other two. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen That Thing You Do! I thought the movie was like everywhere in the 90s.

      Delete
  4. I really like Sing Street and thought about adding it to my list too but ent the other way. The second pick, Oh Brother, I've seen and enjoyed and I think I even rewatched it. The third one I need to see...which is ridiculous since it's Tom Hanks and I thought I'd seen all his 90s movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too haven't seen That Thing You Do!. It was soo popular in the 90s and it being PG was like shown on TV a lot.

      Delete
  5. I haven’t seen any of your picks but Sing Street is one I’ve been meaning to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen That Thing You Do but I have seen the other ones. Sing Street was really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have only seen O Brother which is. Great choice and a fun play on that Ulysses saga

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...