Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #281: TMP Television Edition - Dystopian/Apocalyptic



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Dystopian/Apocalyptic

---




There are plenty of dystopian/apocalyptic series to choose from, so I'm picking ones that I've seen the past year.

Daybreak (2019 -)
Zombie horror comedy series following a teen boy and his friends as they navigate the new world and search for his girlfriend. If you're tired of The Walking Dead, this is a nice change. I'd describe it as Mad Max-like high school zombie comedy with hints of Dawn of the Dead and Ferris Bueller.

The Society  (2019 -)
When their class trip is cut short, the teens return home to find their town completely empty of everyone else. I expected this to be terrible, but it surprised me, I ended up liking it. If you enjoy The 100, I think you might like this, it has the whole teens trying to survive on their own thing. Or if you like Lord of Flies...there are definitely Lord of the Flies moments here too. Then there's also the added mystery aspect to what is actually going on. Are the teens in a post apocalyptic world where everyone else has perished? Or are they part of some sociological/anthropological experiment? Or are they in purgatory? The first season ended with an ugly leadership change, let's see how terribly that pans out in the upcoming season two.

The Umbrella Academy (2019 -)
Super powered infants were adopted 30 years ago by an eccentric rich man to form a band of superheroes. However things did not go as planned and the children grew apart. Now the adult siblings have reunited when they learned of their adopted father's mysterious death. Oh I like this. It's basically this quirky story about these super powered people who never quite lived up to their potential/expectations and now might just be the only people who can stop an imminent apocalypse and oh there's time travel too. It's very interesting, funny and has a nice soundtrack as well.

Dark (2017 - )
In 2019 in a German town surrounded by thick woods, children have gone missing. As the community search for answers and tension increases, some of the townspeople are reminded of a similar occurrence 33 years ago. I absolutely love the first season. The second season is not as great but I still like it. I have to say that this is a very ambitious series, there's a lot to follow with the story being set in 5 to 6 time periods, so we often see the same characters as a child, adult and senior person throughout the series and then there are the time travelers who able to stay the same age and just move through the different time periods. The second season had I think two big revelations one involving the priest character which just shows how intricately tangled up these characters lives are and how could they ever extricate themselves from the mess? Anyway we will be getting a season three which is the final season so hopefully they would be able to end the series well.


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


8 comments:

  1. I tried so hard to like Dark and I just couldn't get into it. I was so disappointed because I love the German language but the entire time travel part of it just got on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Umbrella Academy is the only I've seen and I was not a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Umbrella Academy - oh no. It is quite quirky and I can see how it can turn people off it.

      Delete
  3. I loved The Umbrella Academy, the soundtrack really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soundtrack is a lot of fun and perfectly chosen for some the scenes.

      Delete
  4. I love Dark but I haven't watched the second season yet. I was keeping it for a foreign TV show pick or something though..plus I think I've raved about this already!
    I hated The Society though! The time jumps and the ridiculous plot lines annoyed me too much to even enjoy it. The idea and the execution itself is not bad, reminded of Jericho a bit, which I love, but the writing is just super bad. The only characters I care about is the deaf kid and his crush. But the show sort of threw this horrific plot twist at us now so like.. crazy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark - Haven't seen the second season yet? What are you waiting for? I think I saw it within the month.
      The Society - I haven't seen Jericho. I would say most of the teens are unlikeable. Which horrible plot twist? The glimpse of the original West Ham?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...