Thursday, November 17, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #123: Movies based on a TV Series



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie is Movies based on a TV Series

---


Here's a fun theme. I love watching TV just as much as movies so it's always interesting to see if a successful tv series can be made into a movie. My picks today are 2 that I like and the third is one where it totally didn't work.

21 Jump Street (2012)
I thought the idea of a movie remake of 21 Jump Street was so dumb. I wasn't super familiar with the TV series, but from what I understand it was a drama. So thinking the remake would similarly be a drama I just thought the premise sounds too dated for this decade. But nope, the movie is comedy and it was great. They had a lot of fun with the basic premise of young-ish  (but not so young-ish) cops having to go undercover as high school students.

Mission: Impossible (1996-
Have not seen this TV series too and had never really cared for the movies as well; but after seeing how great Ghost Protocol was, I checked out the 3rd one and have now also seen Rogue Nation. As action films, they're probably one of the best. In terms of story, they have convoluted plots that I've given up following which I suspect are all really dumb anyway. So just watch it for the amazing stunts, gadgetry and impossible situations.

Bewitched (2005)
The bad apple of today's picks. I love the TV series and had look forward to the movie. Unfortunately it was terrible. I just don't understand why they just didn't do a straight up remake.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

20 comments:

  1. 21 Jump Street is hilarious. I had low expectations with that one and was blown away. I actually didn't know Mission Impossible was based on a TV Series, and you're right, that Betwitched movie was SO bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 21 Jump Street the movie is so tonally different from the TV show that outside of the original concept they can be viewed and enjoyed as unique unto themselves. The movie is goofy fun though it goes overboard towards the end. The TV show was more serious but that kept it from becoming Beverly Hills 90210 Goes Undercover.

    I've only seen the first two MI movies, I wasn't crazy about the first and hated the second but I loved the TV show which were much more cerebral and much less reliant on action to sustain its stories.

    I'm with you on Bewitched. Absolutely adored the Elizabeth Montgomery original and am completely perplexed how the filmmakers could screw up something that would seem so easily adapted so utterly.

    This week offered so many choices it was a snap. These are the three I came up with.

    Serenity (2005)-Continuing the story of Captain Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) and his crew who are roaming the galaxy in their beat up spaceship Serenity from the short lived show Firefly. With a brother and sister who are being pursued by a hired killer, the ruthless Operative (Chiwetel Ejiofor) the group planet hop from place to place in their somewhat unreliable rust bucket. By turns light-hearted and tense.

    The Fugitive (1993)-Dr. Richard Kimble (Harrison Ford) is attacked in a home invasion and his wife murdered by a one armed man. Falsely accused of the crime he escapes after a spectacular train wreck and sets out to find the person responsible all the while pursued by the dogged efforts of Deputy Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones). Fasted paced and entertaining, TLJ won a best supporting Oscar for his work. Updated and slightly rethought version of the classic David Janssen series with some terrific action set pieces.

    Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! (1988)-There’s a plot to turn innocent people into assassins and through them kill prominent people including Queen Elizabeth II but the police are on it. The problem however is that the case has been assigned to Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) an utterly clueless detective who specialty is bumbling. Silly comedy turned formerly stern leading man Nielsen into a comedy mainstay. Based on the comic TV series Police Squad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All excellent picks - but was not a fan of Bewitched, used to like the show though. Love loved the first Mission Impossible film - RED LIGHT GREEN LIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these shows, but I loved 21 Jump Street and the Mission: Impossible series is quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...I completely forgot Bewitched was made into that awful movie. Why would they ever think to put those to actors together?? Zero chemistry. Waste of everyones time including my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a Jonah Hill fan...to me he reeks of being an arrogant snot so i haven't seen 21 Jump St. I have seen the original TV series of MI and enjoyed it the few I have seen. and do enjoy the movies. the 2nd film is the worst. in my eyes. I love Bewitched---the TV series and hated this remake. It was poorly done and couldn't get into Nicole Kidman as Samantha at all. I did like her dad but still, the original cast members were the best...I do mean Dick York over Dick Sargeant

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Mission Impossible was based on a television show! I have yet to watch the third movie, but enjoyed the first, fourth and fifth movies. I didn't love the remake of Bewitched, the show was good, based on the few episodes that I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here.
    upcoming movies

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time visit here. From the tons of comments on your articles,I guess I am not only one having all the enjoyment right here! 123movies hd

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Irish films have been receiving plenty of attention in the past couple of years.Click here to know more about link.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should avoid music websites that have a ton of pop-up ads. Some may contain viruses, spyware, adware, and the like on https://watchseriesnet.net/watch/resolution-2012.html.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are able to watch unlimited totally free movies on 123movies the prime wire but you have to have an account.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a consequence, if you're likely to see a movie, it no longer has to be a huge thing. More information on 123movies on rainierlandunblocked.net.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are many steps involved with streaming a movie and watching it with no interruptions on 123 movies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little things matter, especially in regards to films which take on already existing story. I love to watch in putlocker9.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also with no ad all you have to do is simply pay us for the subscription that you wish to have to see the complete movie Jigsaw (2017) on solarmovie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. In the event if you won't locate any of your favourite movie on a single site keep trying different websites. You can find more details on x movies8free on the site www.xmovies8free.net.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In the event the movie is in a format which will allow it to burn on a DVD, it is going to drag in the section of the DVD-burning program. Site has more information on the watchmoviesonlinehdfree.

    ReplyDelete
  19. More stuff usually means a larger house which means a more expensive residence. You can find more details on xmovies8online on the site web.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An individual can use a great movie downloader web.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...