Friday, August 11, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #161: Summer Blockbusters



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Summer Blockbusters

---



This week's theme is a suggestion by Mettel Ray. My favorite genre is drama, summer blockbusters most of them are definitely not. But here are some blockbusters I have enjoyed in the past.

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
I definitely did not see this when it came out, while I have always been aware of it, I only saw it about a decade ago. It's such an adorable, sweet and heartwarming movie, it's hard to not fall in love with it. It's been referenced so much over the years, if you haven't seen this, get to it.

X-Men (2000)
I've not read a single, X-men comic (you can't get comics at newsstands here, you'd have to go to a comic book store and most are just so out of the way) so long story short my introduction to most comic book stories were through the cartoon series and I love the 90s X-Men series. When this movie was released I was so excited to see it and was so happy that it turned out well.

Spider-Man (2002) / Spider-Man 2 (2004)
I grew up watching the 90s Spider-Man series and seeing these Spider-Man movies were incredible. They were so fun, had good villains and Spider-Man swinging from building to building, who would have thought they could have actually put it on screen.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

6 comments:

  1. I saw ET. 4 times when it came out and not because I wanted to. The first time, I liked it and thought it was good even though I felt manipulated. The 2nd time was good as well but then I had to see it with my cousins and lastly, with my mom. I will never forget my mom laughing at the scene when the doctors tried to revive the alien. She made a good point saying how would they know where his heart is and if the meds would work, Love the Spider-Man series with Tobey Maguire and thought he did a great job. I also watched the cartoon in the 90's and so I looked forward to the movies and I love them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all four of these! I wasn't born yet when ET had it's theatrical run but I saw the other three in theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw all of these in theaters when they came out and love them all. Great choices. Got a bit busy and had to sit this one out (for now).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the inclusion of E.T. It's reputation has become so huge as this magical classic people don't think of it as a summer movie, but it was a huge topic of discussion the summer it was out.

    I have likewise never read a single X-Men anything and went to see the movie reluctantly since it was my buddy's turn to choose the film we saw but I really thought it was great once I did. The endless sequels have taken some of the shine off it but it's still a fine entertainment.

    Again up until I went to see the original Spiderman I hadn't known any of the lore of the character but I really enjoyed both of these films. I haven't bothered with the reboots, I don't see the point.

    Tons of choices to pick from this week so I just chose three I actually saw when they were out with a packed audience.

    Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)-This will be brief since I’m guessing there isn’t a soul who hasn’t seen this or doesn’t know the story. Opening with a throwback to the adventure of Saturday serials we meet Indiana Jones professor and treasure hunter. Learning that the Ark of the Covenant is at risk of falling into Nazi possession he sets out to get it into the safe hands of Uncle Sam instead. Along the way he meets up again with Marion Ravenwood, daughter of his old partner and a girl he done wrong, who in many ways is as tough as he is. High adventure follows. Just a flat out good time at the movies. Made a mint on release.

    Total Recall (1990)-In the not too distant future Douglas Quaid (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is suffering from troubling dreams about battles on Mars. His wife (Sharon Stone) is dismissive of them but when he continues to have them he turns to Rekall Inc. a company that sell a different kind of vacation, implanted memories. But something happens when the memory is being placed and he ends up on Mars in a fight for his life…or is he? Very violent and convoluted but involving. Even now technically impressive and along with The Terminator the film that really put Arnold on top for a long time. Cost a fortune to make, made a fortune in theatres.

    Grease (1978)-Well summer vacation is over and Danny Zuko (John Travolta) leader of the T-Birds is back from a trip to Australia where he met the demure Sandy Olsson (Olivia Newton-John) and had some Summer Lovin’. He’s back in his leather jacket and ready to pick up with his gang where he left off but surprise Sandy is a transfer student to his high school and now he’s torn between his image as a tough guy and his love for goody two shoes Sandy, who has been taken under the wing of The Pink Ladies lead by Rizzo (a far too old but sensational anyway Stockard Channing). Teen angst 50’s style, drag racing, a pregnancy scare, cameos by lots of classic stars and a load of good songs follow in this peppy adaptation of the Broadway hit. Raked in the bucks for months on original release then did it again when it was re-released to theatres for its 20th anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...