Friday, October 5, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #221: Halloween Edition - Home Invasion



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween Edition - Home Invasion

---

Hey it's October again and it's time for the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month.

October 4 - Halloween Edition: Home Invasion
October 11 - Halloween Edition: The Dark/Night
October 18 - Halloween Edition: Technology
October 25 - Halloween/Television Edition: The Weird

 
You're Next (2011)
I've picked this movie at least once before. It is really good, cleverly flips the home invasion plot. Also that's a great poster right?

Hush (2016)
I first heard about Hush from one of you fellow TMPickers, I think it may have been Wendell. It is very good and having a main character that is deaf does allow the movie to have a fresh take on the old home invasion plot. Plus the main character was both smart and resourceful and the actress playing her was great and with such expressive eyes.

The Purge (2013)
This is the only one of The Purge movies that I've seen and I like it. I thought it had an interesting idea.
 
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a horror guy at heart and rarely go for home invasion movies which is a long-winded way of saying I haven't seen any of your picks but all three are very popular today. Hush sounds like the only one I'd conceivably watch eventually however that is a great poster for You're Next.

    Not being much for this particular subgenre I had to hunt around a bit but managed to find three (non-horror) films that qualified that are excellent films as well.

    He Ran All the Way (1951)-After a failed stickup during which he kills a cop Nick Robey (John Garfield) ducks into a local public pool house where he strikes up an acquaintance with Peg Dobbs (Shelley Winters). Upon leaving he offers her a cab ride to her home and she invites him in. Discovering he’s pursued he takes Peg and her family hostage leading to a tense standoff holding the police at bay while terrorizing the family. This was the great Garfield’s final film before the stress of being blacklisted lead to his fatal heart attack at only 39.

    The Desperate Hours (1955)-On the run after a prison break Glenn Griffin (Humphrey Bogart), his brother Hal (Dewey Martin) and Sam Kobish (Robert Middleton) break into the suburban Indianapolis home of businessman Dan Hilliard (Fredric March) and his family and take them hostage while they wait for Griffin’s moll to show up with loot for a getaway. What is supposed to be only a few hours stretches into nerve jangling days as the woman doesn’t show. William Wyler directed thriller is a tense suspenser. Badly remade in the 80’s.

    Cul-de-sac (1966)-George (Donald Pleasance) and his much younger French wife Teresa (Françoise Dorléac) live in an isolated castle on a remote tidal island. American gangster Dickey (Lionel Stander) fleeing a botched robbery with his wounded sidekick Albie (Jack MacGowran) cross the causeway at low tide and take over the castle but then the tables turn. Roman Polanski directed this strange thriller with both dramatic and comic overtones. Leading lady Dorléac was Catherine Deneuve’s sister and a rising international star before she was killed in a car crash the year after this was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like horror movies, but more of the supernatural kind, so I don't watch that many home invasion movies either. I haven't seen any of your picks but one really popular non-horror home invasion movie I can think of is Home Alone

      Delete
  2. Hush is so popular today, we share that pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen any of these films but am anxious to check them out. This was a good theme. I like a good thriller. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those are popular picks...and good movies. You're Next really shocked me with how good it is since I had zero expectations going in. I almost picked it myself. I did pick Hush. Love that one also. I love the concept of The Purge more than the actual movie. The Purge sequels better fit that concept, but not this theme, so good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike you I did had expectations for You're Next just because I had heard so much praise for it and it was well met.

      Delete
  5. Looking at these posts I realise I've accidentally not linked my post to so many of this year's themes.. and I've done them all! Such a shame, I've had such a busy year... oh well. I'll do better next year!

    But I can totally agree with HUSH, it was such a good movie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...