Thursday, October 25, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #224: Halloween/Television Edition: The Weird

 


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween Edition - The Weird

---

Hey it's October again and it's time for the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month.

October 4 - Halloween Edition: Home Invasion
October 11 - Halloween Edition: The Dark/Night
October 18 - Halloween Edition: Technology
October 25 - Halloween/Television Edition: The Weird


So we've come to the final Halloween edition and as it is the last Thursday it is also the TV edition. This week I'm picking TV series that mixes all sorts of genre making them all weird messy messes that also have a lot of weird stuff happening too.
 
Hemlock Grove (2013 - 2015)
I like vampire/werewolf shows and this one had a very striking poster so I gave it a try. I did end up watching all three seasons, only because the Netflix library was very limited then. I would say only the first season which had a stronger mystery element to it was decent. The other seasons added more science fiction to the show which just didn't make it as good.

Legion (2017 - )
Legion is about David Haller the son of Professor X of the X-Men, who has multiple personalities and each of his personality has its own superpower. That does sound awesome doesn't it? To an extent it is. Weird and crazy stuff happens and the series has this really interesting look that is both retro trippy but also a little futuristic which I do like. However the series is just so inconsistent. To get one brilliant episode, you'd have to sit through like two to three episodes that were just misses. I watched the entire season one, but after seeing the first episode of season two, I gave up. The season seemed it was going to be plagued by the same unevenness.

Fortitude (2015 - )
The setting, a town on the edge of the Arctic Circle, attracted me to the series. It sort of reminds me of White Out, 30 Days of Night and other horror/thrillers set in a similar sort of setting that has a small local police force who have to battle the harsh weather and solve a crime. Fortitude is a mix of crime thriller, science fiction and the supernatural and like my other picks today it has so much weird crazy stuff: man-eating polar bears, weird insects, mastodon remains, witch doctors and that is just what I remember. I would say I enjoyed season one better. I thought season two overstretched itself with all the different stuff that was going on. 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. 100% agree about Legion. Season 2 was an absolute slog and they really got a bit up their own ass in their weirdness. It ended up being really pretentious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me. Looks like I made the right decision to not waste any more time on it. I wonder if it will get renewed.

      Delete
  2. I have not watched any of these which is typical. Legion sounds like a good idea but what a shame it didn’t turn out. The 3rd one sounds pretty good and maybe I will give it a shot..if it’s on regular tv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Legion has its fans, I'm just no longer one.
      I guessing Fortitude would be on cable in Canada. It is not really network TV kind of material.

      Delete
  3. I wanted to watch Legion but then I forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is no longer a must watch. The first season was very hyped up, there was a lot of ads, season two just like came and went without much ads, not that I'd watch anyway.

      Delete
  4. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a single minute of any of these. I do want to watch Legion since I'm a superhero fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Legion was pitched as a villain origin story, which sounds interesting right? Anyway such a pity both the two X-men related series on TV right now, Legion and The Gifted are so lacklustre.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...