Thursday, October 18, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #223: Halloween Edition - Technology

 


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween Edition - Technology

---

Hey it's October again and it's time for the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month.

October 4 - Halloween Edition: Home Invasion
October 11 - Halloween Edition: The Dark/Night
October 18 - Halloween Edition: Technology
October 25 - Halloween/Television Edition: The Weird


This one was quite tough as I've tried to not pick ones that I've picked too many times before.
 
The Ring (2002)
A journalist investigates a mysterious videotape that causes the person viewing it to die. Technology - video tape, old technology, even by 2002, but I suppose that is why it works here; an almost obsolete technology showing a grainy mysterious footage makes it more scary. Anyway that scene when the girl reaches out was just the freakiest. I know there was a sequel recently, was it still a videotape?

Shutter (2004) 
A young photographer and his girlfriend discover mysterious shadows in their photographs after a tragic accident. Technology - photography. It was remade in 2008 but skip that and just watch this. Shutter is one of my favourite ghost stories and I can't believe I've only picked this only once before. It has some really good scary scenes and like most good ghost stories it has at its center a tragedy and is so incredibly sad.

Chatroom (2010)
5 teens meet in a chatroom and one of them has a dark side. Technology - internet. The only one of my picks today that I dislike. This movie is just like 10 years too late. By 2010 social media had taken over chatrooms, even popular chatrooms like MSN chat had already been shut down a couple of years before.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

12 comments:

  1. The Ring scared the hell out of me to the point I still don’t want to see it and hate seeing snow on the tv screen. You are the second person who chose Shutter and it sounds interesting but I think I will pass on Chat room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You watched the Ring? I thought you don't watch Horror?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man I love Chatroom. It's nice to see that get a mention at least lol. I love The Ring too, but hated Shutter.

      Delete
    2. Chatroom was sooo not for me.
      You hated Shutter? The original one?

      Delete
  3. I watched Shutter a few weeks back and I really enjoyed it. It was so much better than the American remake I saw years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes so much better.
      There were some choices that the American remake made that was just so perplexing.

      Delete
  4. The Ring is the only one I've seen. I liked it, not loved it. Still, the girl coming out of the TV is iconic. The sequel is straight trash. I can't even remember if a videotape was involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? So what format did they watch the footage?

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any of these but I've been meaning to see The Ring for years and am going to make a concerted effort to see it before the month is out since this seems like the time of the year for it.

    Shutter sounds interesting but Chatroom is something I'll never watch though it fits well.

    I expected this to be a tough week for me but it turned out to be the easy week of the month so far. All three titles came to me right away.

    Frankenstein (1931)-Dr. Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive) of whom it might be generously said has a screw or two loose attempts with the latest technology to create life by assembling a creature from body parts of the dead in his laboratory deep within the walls of his remote castle. Assisted by the loyal, deformed Fritz (Dwight Frye), he succeeds in bringing his monster (Boris Karloff) to life in florid fashion. However, trouble is brewing when the confused and traumatized monster escapes into the countryside and begins to wreak havoc. Iconic and seminal film impressively director by James Whale, with a touching performance by Karloff, set the standard for all horror movies to follow.

    Demon Seed (1977)-Susan Harris (Julie Christie) and her husband Dr. Alex Harris (Fritz Weaver) a renowned scientist live in a home he has modified to be run by voice-activated computers. Dr. Harris has also developed Proteus IV, an extremely advanced and autonomous artificial intelligence program. When Harris becomes disturbed by Proteus’s demands to be let "out of this box". Harris switches off the communications link but Proteus restarts itself, constructs a robot takes control of the house and traps Susan inside. Object: impregnate Susan to assume human form. Strange, unsettling sci-fi based on a Dean Koontz novel is strengthened by having a talent like Julie Christie in the lead.

    Tron (1982)-Young computer engineer Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges) discovers that his work is being stolen by one of his company’s executives-Ed Dillinger (David Warner). He attempts to hack the system but something goes awry and Flynn is transported into the digital world, facing off against Dillinger's computerized likeness, Sark, and the imposing Master Control Program. Aided by Tron (Bruce Boxleitner) and Yori (Cindy Morgan), Flynn fights a technological battle for control. Though the graphics are wildly dated now they were cutting edge when this was released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the remake of Tron...it was sooo boring.
      Demon Seed sounds interesting.
      I've never seen an actual adaptation of Frankenstein, only movies and TV shows that feature Victor and his monster.

      Delete
  6. Yess, I love Shutter and The Ring! Haven't watched the last one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...