Thursday, April 22, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #354: Psychological Thriller



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Psychological Thriller

---

I enjoy psychological thrillers. It's fun trying to figure out which parts of the character's perceived reality is real and what is not. Here are three movies that I have enjoyed in the past:

Earthquake Bird (2019)
An expat in Japan, haunted by her dark past, is questioned about a missing friend who may have been involved with her boyfriend. I enjoyed this broody atmospheric thriller. The premise is great, set against the isolation and separateness of the unreliable protagonist, being a foreigner in a foreign land, who is trying to cope with her own dark past and as is now confronted by the recent disappearance of her friend; kept me guessing what really happened till the end.

Fractured (2019)
When a man's daughter hurts her arm at a highway rest stop, he and his wife brings her to the nearest hospital, where the wife accompanies the daughter to get an MRI only for them to both disappear and the hospital claiming no such persons ever checked in. This was a decent thriller that I thought totally plays on the whole hospital waiting room atmosphere that is steeped in anxiety; here the man frantically searches for his family and dealing with hospital staff he perceives as at best unhelpful, at worst hiding something nefarious. 

Trance (2013)
A fine arts auctioneer mixed up with some shady characters loses a painting they're trying to rob. Suffering from amnesia after a blow to the head he goes through hypnosis to recover his memories to find the painting. I remember liking this a lot. Unreliable narrator and hypnosis made this a fun twisty movie where we try to navigate what is real.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

5 comments:

  1. The only one of yours I've seen this week is Trance and it's one I wouldn't mind revisiting. I liked it, but I only saw it that once time in theaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of your picks but I've heard of Earthquake Bird and was gonna watch it at some point, so thanks for the reminder. TRANCE sounds great as well, love the cast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen any of these but I think I've heard of Fractured before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen any f these but Fractured sounds really good and I like those types of films. It reminds me of Bunny Lake is Missing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all new to me. I particularly like the sound of Fractured.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...