Thursday, June 25, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #311 TMP Television Edition - Book to TV Adaptations



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is TMP Television Edition - Book to TV Adaptations

---


This in an easy week, there are so many to choose from. I'm picking my three most recent watches, ones that I have read the books they were adapted from.

Sharp Objects (2018)
This one is a limited series, based on the Gillian Flynn novel of the same name. I like the book and had been looking forward to the adaptation and it did not disappoint. The town was a real character. The heat, the nosy inhabitants, that disturbing play and the secrets it keeps. It is no wonder the main character wanted to escape it. And the children...they really were wild little monsters. I wonder though if most people would overlook that mid credit scene, because it's not something that is often done on a TV series especially one that is a crime drama.

Virgin River (2019 - )
I read the book about a year and half ago because I knew Netflix was adapting it. The contemporary romance genre is usually not my thing (I prefer chick lit which has more humor) and I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. Anyway the book is part of a multiple book series, of which I've only read the one and the TV series is already getting a second season. The first season is rather faithful to the first book and while I don't love it, it is an okay watch. It is something to put on when I need a family friendly series. If you're a fan of those Lifetime and Hallmark type of romance drama, than this would be right up your alley. Otherwise, it will probably bore you.

Locke & Key  (2020 - )
There was an adaptation made in 2011, where a pilot episode was shot, but it was never picked up for a season and I have been waiting for another fully realised adaptation since then. Unfortunately even though overall I did enjoy this new adaptation, it is still a bit of a disappointment. It's been a few years since I've read the graphic novel, so while I think it gets the gist of what happens, I remember the graphic novel to be much more sinister in tone...like things were just scarier and uglier, and this adaptation is just so PG and YA-ish. I really hope the second season put a little more horror into it.
---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


6 comments:

  1. I've only seen Sharp Objects but I loved that series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Locke and Key and I hated it.. not like fully but like.. it was so PG and it feels like it shouldn't be. It should be like Stranger Things level awesome and even darker somehow. Such a let down. I've yet to watch the other two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger Things is very YA.
      Locke and Key graphic novel is not shelved in YA graphic novel just horror supernatural. And like I said I remember the novel to be so much more sinister...more than Stranger Things. I so wish Locke and Key TV series didn't PG and YA it down and try to court the Stranger Things audience because that is what it seems to be doing.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen any of these but I wouldn't mind seeing Sharp Objects

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these. I was curious about Virgin River, but not really a fan of Hallmark/Lifetime types movies so probably skip that then, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I avoid Hallmark/Lifetime shows too...but since this is Netflix I did give it a try. But yeah if you're not a fan of Hallmark/Lifetime type of drama, this is likely a skip.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...