Thursday, October 31, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #277: Halloween/Television Edition - Horror



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween/Television Edition - Horror

---

Hey it's October again and it's time for the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month.

October 3 - Halloween Edition: Period Drama Horror
October 10 - Halloween Edition: Teen Horror
October 17 - Halloween Edition: Jump Scares that Got You [Suggested by Brittani]
October 24 - Halloween Edition: Rituals
October 31 - Halloween/Television Edition: Horror


I've seen some great horror series the past year or so and here are my favourites:

Penny Dreadful  (2014 - 2016)
The Gist: Familiar classic horror characters work together to combat supernatural forces in Victorian England. I've said a few weeks ago that I tend to find horror shows with a period setting to have a slight edge in terms of scary atmosphere because the whole no electric lights made nights way more scarier and that people lives used to be ruled by so much superstition. What I had forgotten to add were that women and children were generally treated much more poorly, people with mental illness treated worse and medical science was terrible. You don't even need supernatural elements to make anything scary. Anyway what I'm trying to say is....Penny Dreadful has almost all off that and supernatural elements. Of course not to forget you favourite classic literary horror characters like Frankenstein and his monsters, Dorian Gray, Dracula, just to name a few. If you enjoy literary stuff, definitely check this out, it has a very literary feel to it with the dialog and references, beyond just using the familiar horror characters.

The Haunting of Hill House (2018)
The Gist: A broken family confronts the haunting memories of their time at Hill House after a tragedy. I love this slow burning series that really takes its time in telling its story. It is just so well written and crafted making it a great haunting and tragic horror drama series. If you didn't know yet the series has become an anthology series and it seems it's continuing with the theme of haunted literary houses, with the second season called The Haunting of Bly Manor; the Bly manor from The Turn of the Screw. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Evil (2019 - )
The Gist: A priest-in-training and two skeptics, a psychologist and a contractor investigate miracles, demonic possessions and other unexplained occurrences to determine if there is a scientific explanation or if it is truly supernatural. This is a new series and so far it has been really good. There are some creepy stuff in this, both the supernatural variety and the psychological variety too. Look out for the fourth episode, it is a standout chilling one about parents of a possibly psychopathic young boy who are at their wits end dealing with him and have resorted to requesting an exorcism for their child.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

6 comments:

  1. We share a pick with Penny Dreadful. I loved the show and I'm really excited about the new sequel thingy coming up.
    Haunting of Hill House is on my Netflix list but I haven't had time yet to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know about the Penny Dreadful sequel. The thing that drew me to Penny Dreadful was the literary theme. They are changing it up with the sequel which is going to be I think Mexican folklore, I'm not too sure, anyway it is one I'm not familiar with so have to wait for the trailer to see if it's worth checking out.

      Delete
  2. We match on Haunting of Hill House! I didn't realize it was being turned into an anthology, I'll definitely be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a few adaptation of Turn of the Screw, so I am looking forward with their take on it.

      Delete
  3. Considering I watch so many shows, it's surprising I have seen none of these. Penny Dreadful poster really pulls me in right now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am surprised too. I thought you would have watched either Penny Dreadful or Haunting of Hill House.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...