Friday, October 13, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #170: Halloween Edition - Dolls


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three to five  movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of movies and tell us why you chose them. For further details visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween Edition - Dolls

---

Hey it's October and the whole of this month I'm running the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the weeks.

October 5 - Halloween Edition: Masks
October 12 - Halloween Edition: Dolls
October 19 - Halloween Edition: Body Horror [Suggested by Myerla]
October 26 - Halloween/Television Edition: Horror 

This is a boring week; I thought I had seen a lot more movies with scary dolls but apparently I haven't, so my list is pathetic. When I googled scary doll movies, there aren't that many titles either and about half of them are Chucky movies.

Chucky
I think I saw the original and one of the sequels. Can't remember any of the plot details.

Annabelle
I thought it was an ok movie, but apparently not a lot of people like it. 

---

So that's it...my three picks. What movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. I picked that horrible doll also. I can't stand the Chucky movies but at least I could pick 3. I haven't seen Annabelle yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chucky, can't even remember enough to know if I liked them.

      Delete
  2. I saw the first Chucky movie and that was plenty! Annabelle didn't appeal to me so I skipped it.

    To come up with my three I had to stretch quite a bit with my last but it is definitely a Doll movie.

    Magic (1978)-When ventriloquist assistant Corky Withers (Anthony Hopkins) makes his first public performance alone he’s a bust. Afterward he’s given a dummy, Fats to work with. Slowly he improves and eventually is approaching the big time but something strange is happening, Fats seems to be taking control of not only their act but Corky’s actions. Feeling uneasy he takes a break at a cottage owned by his childhood sweetheart Peggy Ann Snow (Ann-Margret) where the hoped for relief doesn’t come but thanks to Fats things become increasingly dire. Creepy and unsettling. Notorious for having its initial TV preview pulled after a massive series of complaints that it was too frightening for children.

    Attack of the Puppet People aka I Was a Teenage Doll (1958)-Mad doctor is lonely for companionship so he invents a machine that shrinks people to miniature size. When he pulls the trick on his secretary and her boyfriend they desperately try to discover a way to escape and once again return to normal size. Strictly drive-in stuff with a budget to match but John Hoyt gives it everything he’s got as the wacko professor with the human doll collection.

    Magnificent Doll (1946)-Dolley Payne Todd (Ginger Rogers!?) is a young widow living in 17th century Philadelphia when she meets two men with great futures, Aaron Burr (David Niven) and James Madison (Burgess Meredith). Both court her but she picks Madison and from that point on according to this history is decided by two lovesick puppies quarreling over the supposedly Magnificent Doll. Ginger, completely at sea, obviously thinks the way to portray one of the Great Ladies of History is to declaim rather than speak her lines and act as if she were made of wood throughout this stately bore. A horror show of another kind and a real disservice to its subject perhaps the most vibrant, interesting woman of revolutionary times who did have tremendous influence on events just not in the drippy, empty way shown here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't heard any of your three picks.

      Annabelle - I heard the sequel is better.

      Delete
  3. I didn't like Annabelle but I kind of have a soft spot for the Chucky franchise. It isn't as terrible as I thought, not all the movies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never saw Annabelle, but I have seen the Child's Play movies. You should watch May. That was one of my picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of May. The plot seemed too creepy, not something that I'd likely watch, so I had read its Wikipedia page a long time ago, so I basically know what happens.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...