Friday, May 19, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #149: The Renaissance (14th to the 17th century)



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is The Renaissance (14th to the 17th century) [Suggested by John Hitchcock]

---



Today's theme was suggested by John Hitchcock @ HitchcocksWorld
Today's theme is a tough one. When I think of Renaissance I think of paintings, illuminated manuscripts...art in general, so I'm picking movies that show some of that at the very least visually.

Elizabeth (1998)
I don't remember much of this movie, just too long ago, other than the way it looked which was pretty gorgeous. I mean just look at the poster; doesn't Cate Blanchett look magnetic in that gold dress.

Shakespeare in Love (1998)
This is one of those movies, that I can never really recall what happens. I mostly only remember the end where they did the last show. Anyway it has Shakespeare and gorgeous costumes. Both Geoffrey Rush and Joseph Fiennes is in this as well, its the other Elizabethan set 1998 movie.
 
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
My favourite Cinderella movie. It features Leonardo Da Vinci in a fairy godmother sort of character which is so sweet and he even does a drawing of Danielle, the Cinderella character. And...she also visits a monastery to read some, I'm guessing, gorgeous illuminated books.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw Shakespeare in Love years ago but I don't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever After. <3 I love that movie so much!

    Shakespeare in Love is one of my all-time favorites. Such a great script and really wonderful performances from all involved. The final performance of Romeo & Juliet really is the best part, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Ever After.

      Shakespeare in Love, I think I remember the last part best too because I tend to always catch it when I'm flipping channels.

      Delete
  4. Ah Ever After....odd film. Shakespeare in Love is such a great film and I have never seen the whole of Elizabeth...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ever After; it's my favorite Cinderella retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ever After...not a typical pick but Drew Barrymore is hard to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think because it's a fairy tale, it's not what comes to mind immediately when one thinks of Renaissance movies.

      Delete
  7. Sadly, I've not seen any of these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen all of these, sorry I'm late but busy night. I actually love these films. Fate should have won the Oscar for her portrayal of the Virgin Queen. Shakespeare is actually quite fun and I enjoyed Rush in this film. I also picked Ever After and I agree with what you said...such a wonderful film

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen all three of these films. Ever After is my favorite. Completely melodramatic but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melodramatic...nooo...say it isn't so... :)

      Delete
  10. Wow, I hadn't heard of Ever After before - it sounds amazing! The other two are okay but not favorites.

    - Mette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever After...really...then you definitely have to check it out.

      Delete
  11. I have only seen Shakespere in Love..always found it a shame it gets hate for beating SPR to the Oscar cos its a good film

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...