Thursday, December 17, 2015

Thursday Movie Picks #75: Family Get-Together/Reunions




Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Family Get-Together/Reunions

---


In case you missed it the 2016 TMP theme list is up here. I've also open up 4 dates for suggestions, get the details here. I'll reveal the selections by the last Thursday of this year, so if you want to suggest themes, you still have time. Now here are my picks for this week.

The Family Stone (2005)
Uptight professional woman goes to meet her boyfriend's more free spirited family over the Christmas holidays. This one has a lot of recognizable names in it. Can't say I remember much of the movie, it's been 10 years, but I do remember the food fight that Keaton, McAdams and Parker's characters got into, and also thinking that this movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Summer Hours (2008)
There are at least two reunions in this. The first is one of the last summers a family spends with their mother in her home in a small town. The second is after her death, not so long after that last summer, as the adult children once again reunite and this time having to decide what to do with their childhood home and their family heirloom. I really enjoyed this. There's no big drama here just people going through the motions of getting things in order and letting go parts of their childhood.

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013) 
Really wanted to love this one but I didn't. It was interesting but a little too artsy emo to me. Now I did enjoy the short little family reunion the vampires had when Eve's sister Ava made her appearance. Ava breathes life to the movie. She could be hundreds of years old but is still a girly spoiled immature teenager that irritates Adam to no end and that is just so fun to watch.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---


---


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)


---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

12 comments:

  1. I feel the same way as you on two of your picks. Don't remember much about Family Stone and wanted to like OLLA more...a lot more. It was way way too artsy emo for me. Haven't seen the other one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hay...glad you think the same way I do about OLLA. I keep hearing so much love for the movie, I thought I was the only one.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to finish Only Lovers Yet Alive (it feels so long!) but I do find it very artsy. I haven't Summer Hours, and I don't remember much about Family Stone either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it did feel long (which is always a bad sign)even though I think it was under 2hours. Even the characters were into artsy stuff.

      Delete
  3. I still need to see Only Lovers Left Alive, desparate to see it! Summer Hours looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I was desperate to see it too before, just because a lot of people seem to really like and I tend to like the quieter type of vampire movies.

      Delete
  4. I'm expecting to see a lot of The Family Stone today. Only Lovers Left Alive, while it was a bit of a let down for me is a very inspired choice. Nice picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only seen Family Stone and while I love everybody in it except SJP it was only middling. I've heard wonderful things about Summer Hours but haven't gotten to it yet. As far as Only Lovers I know the title but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, not really into SJP here either. People seem to love her because of Sex in the City. But I haven't seen it and I haven't like her in the other stuff I've seen her in.

      Delete
  6. I think I saw a part of the first movie and should give it a shot. I have not seen the others

    ReplyDelete
  7. I picked The Family Stone as a Bonus Pick this week. Good one! Only Lovers Left Alive is a cool pick. Not as good for me as it was for some, but really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week was such a revelation: most of you don't really like OLLA as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...