Saturday, October 28, 2023

Thursday Movie Picks #466: Halloween/Television Edition Cults/Secret Societies



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Halloween/Television Edition: Cults/Secret Societies

---

Hey it's October again and it's time for the Halloween Edition. Take a look at what's in store for the rest of the month.

October 5 - Halloween Edition: Tourist Experience
October 12 - Halloween Edition: New Person (eg. new girlfriend, new stepfather, new colleague…etc)
October 19 - Halloween Edition: Workplace
October 26 - Halloween/Television Edition: Cults/Secret Societies

---
 

Here are 3 that immediately came to mind.

The Clearing (2023)
Follows a woman who as a child was in a cult and now realises the leader of that cult may just be starting it up all over again. Set in Australia, this is based on a book that was inspired by a real cult in Australia. The story is sad and the atmosphere very creepy...the kids in the cult had had their hair dyed platinum blonde, wore preppy uniforms and they were soo brainwashed.

The Midnight Club (2022)
A group of terminally ill kids at a hospice, which apparently used to be the home of a cult, meet at midnight to tell scary stories...and spooky things do start to happen. Based on Christopher Pike's book. This was disappointing, so I'm not surprised it was not renewed for a second season. It's just not as emotional, scary or haunting as Midnight Mass and The Haunting of Hill House. This was more like The Haunting of Bly Manor... very meh....

Archive 81 (2022) 
An archivist is hired to restore a collection of tapes and finds among them a journalist's tapes from the 90's on her investigation of a cult hidden in an apartment building in the city. Adapted from a podcast. Of my picks today this is the one I really enjoyed the most. It was very suspenseful and super creepy and I was very disappointed when it didn't get renewed since the last episode looked like it was setting itself up for a second season, plus the series had review well and got a lot of views...so my guess it was because of budget cuts after the pandemic. I suppose I would have to listen to the podcast to know if there is a proper conclusion. 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen any of your picks. I’ve seen Bly Manor that was good but not as good as Hill House

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm torn on how I feel about The Clearing. It was very interesting, but so repetitive at times. The Midnight Club is the only Flannigan series I haven't seen. It just didn't look appealing to me. I had Archive 81 in my Netflix queue for ages, but then they cancelled it so I didn't see the point in starting the first season.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...