Thursday, January 21, 2021

Thursday Movie Picks #341: Police Detective


Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Police Detective

---

There are a lot of police detective movies, but this time I'm trying to go with movies that I have not picked before for TMP. Here the three:

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019)
A police officer has been trying to track a serial killer who resurfaces every few years. The movie jumps in time often, so the main character isn't a police detective the whole time. Anyway, I didn't know what to expect with this one and it turned out pretty decent. There's also a time travel element here which is always interesting.
 
Frequency (2000)
Through an old HAM radio, a police detective is able to communicate 30 years into the past with his father who had died when he was a child. Warning his father of his impeding death triggered a set of new events, including the murder of his mother, which father and son now try to solve and prevent. I'm quite surprised that I've not picked this for TMP before. It's been a long time since I've seen but I remember liking it a lot. If you've seen and liked the Spanish film Mirage (2018), then I recommend watching Frequency as well.

Bad Boys (1995)
Two detectives protect a witness while investigating a case of drugs stolen from the police's evidence storage room. I saw all the Bad Boys movies last year and this is one of those rare franchise where the movies are consistent, I enjoyed all of them. But if I have to pick, it would be the first one, since it started it all. I think the best thing about these movies is the chemistry of the two leads. The constant bickering of the two characters is just funny.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

 

8 comments:

  1. I've had in The Shadow of the Moon in my Netflix queue for ages. I really need to get on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the first but I liked Frequency, it's premise was somewhat incredible but the acting of the two leads helped put it over.

    Bad Boys isn't anything extraordinary but a fun actioner with good chemistry between the leads.

    I used a theme within the theme to narrow mine down, all are from the 70's whose titles are the last name of their lead character.

    Serpico (1973)-Based on the autobiographical book of the same name this looks at honest NYPD cop Frank Serpico (Al Pacino) and his struggles against the corruption that permeated the department in the 60’s and his ultimate role of whistleblower after earning his detective shield. Gritty drama anchored by Pacino’s Oscar nominated performance captures the feeling of a grimy corruption plagued New York City.

    Brannigan (1975)-Chicago police detective Jim Brannigan (John Wayne) hops a plane to England to extradite American gangster Ben Larkin (John Vernon). His brash ways clash with the more reserved British methods of Scotland Yard Commander Swann (Richard Attenborough) but when Larkin is kidnapped before Brannigan can take him into custody rough and tumble cop takes off on a manhunt through the streets of London assisted by Detective Sergeant Jennifer Thatcher (Judy Geeson). Fun actioner was one of the Duke’s final films, the fresh locale invigorating his performance.

    Stone (1974)-In 70’s Australia members of the biker gang The GraveDiggers witness a political assassination while under the influence of hallucinogenics and shortly afterwards begin to be killed one by one. Police detective Stone (Ken Shorter) goes undercover within the gang to try and ferret out the killer. He bonds somewhat with the members but when he uncovers a conspiracy, he must make a choice between his job and loyalty to the gang. VERY 70’s film is more concerned with footage of motorcycles, skinny dipping and exploitation than telling a really cohesive story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept seeing In the Shadow of the Moon appearing on streaming but wasn't sure what to make of it. Now I'm curious to see it! Btw, one of my picks is a spoof/homage to Bad Boys ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can’t believe I still haven’t seen Bad Boys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also need to get to In the Shadow of the Moon soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen the last 2. Bad Boys is fun frequency is really quite good and I love the plot twists, I have not seen your first pick but now I want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frequency - I remember liking the twists too. I'd like to rewatch it somedday.

      Delete
  7. In the Shadow of the Moon sounds super interesting! Somehow I've never heard of that one before.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...