Thursday, April 9, 2020

Thursday Movie Picks #300: Movies about Animals



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies about Animals

---


Today's TMP is the 300th one! Can you believe it! We would never reached 300 without all of you that participate every week. And the theme of the day is a suggestion by  Birgit. I was quite apprehensive about this theme at first. I tend to dislike animal movies because a lot of them are super sad. So I've picked ones that are lighter in tone that I love.

Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993)
I grew up watching this and loved it. It's a cute, funny and heartwarming adventure and it's one of the few live action movies that feature a cat as one of the main characters.

Puss in Boots (2011)
I like animals in general but I'm definitely more of a cat person. And when I saw Puss in Boots I thought, the writers and animators must be cat people or they must have spent hours observing cats before making the movie because they captured them perfectly and made all the little things they do funny.

The Jungle Book (2016)
I think I may have seen the 1967 Jungle Book as a child but I don't remember much of it. I had thought the idea of a live action The Jungle Book was going to be terrible so I was not interested in seeing the movie at all. Then it was added to Netflix and I thought fine I'll watch it and ended up loving it. The Jungle Book world looked magical and the animal characters were really really well done. The music...the music just gave the movie that extra magic...I absolutely love the musical numbers. Definitely stay for the end credits which has this lovely pop-up book thing with the characters moving around and singing to one of the songs.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers



12 comments:

  1. We share Puss in Boots! It doesn't have the charm of the first two Shrek films but it is such a fun film and Puss is so adorable. The Jungle Book is a great pick too. It is the only Disney live-action I loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Jungle Book - Now that I try to rank the live action Disney remakes I've seen...I do think The Jungle Book comes up tops for me too. It is just very well made and such a surprise for me since I was never interested in seeing it in the first place.

      Delete
  2. The only one of yours I've seen is Homeward Bound which I hated. I can't do dog movies where they get hurt lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...you hated it. The dogs did not get hurt too bad as far as I can recall...in the end they got back home safely.

      Delete
  3. Man, Homeward Bound always made me cry but it was such a cute and good movie! And I love Puss in Boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was Shadow that made me cry because he was like old and sagely.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showcasing one of my picks. Yeah, Disney is bad for killing off animals and I won’t even mention Marley and Me..oops just did. I need to see Puss N’ Boots. I’m Glad to know Homeward Bound is uplifting so now I will watch it. I still have to see the Disney version and this new one but I did see the film version from 1940(I think) starring Sabu which was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen Homeward Bound? Better get to it...I thought it was a classic animal movie.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for hosting this amazing series every year! I went with lighter animal animations too which was a nice change during this time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely the reason I went with lighter picks. Move away from the gloom.

      Delete
  6. I've only seen Homeward Bound (and that was only because Sally Field voiced the cat). It was cute and sweet but once was plenty.

    I've seen the original Jungle Book a couple of times and thanks to the voice work and the music I liked it but have no interest in the new one.

    Without realizing this theme was coming up I had occasion to watch two of my picks within the last month. What luck! The other Born Free was one I loved as a kid.

    Rascal (1969)-Near the turn of the last century in a small Wisconsin town young Sterling North (Bill Mumy) adopts a baby raccoon-Rascal and spends most of that summer trying to keep him out of trouble while his widowed traveling salesman father Willard (Steve Forrest) is away on business. Disney produced reverie based on the autobiographical book by North.

    Born Free (1966)-In a Kenyan game preserve wardens Joy and George Adamson (played by real life marrieds British performers Virginia McKenna and Bill Travers) discover three young cubs whose mother has been shot by poachers. They care for the three at the reserve until the two larger cubs are sent to a zoo, but both develop a special kinship with Elsa, the runt of the litter. Being of a gentle disposition they at first keep her as a pet but when the prospect of George’s reassignment and the threat of having to send Elsa to a zoo arises the couple decide that since she was born free they have to reintegrate her into the wild. Based on a true story.

    Black Zoo (1963)-At the private zoo “Conrad’s Animal Kingdom” warped owner Michael Conrad (Michael Gough) is up to no good. He rules over a cult of animal worshippers whose fealty is only to the four footed beasts and when anyone poses a threat to their society Conrad has trained the animals to dispatch them in gruesome ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen any of your picks.

      The Jungle Book - That's too bad because this new Disney live action remake is just excellent.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...