Thursday, June 6, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #256: Nannies / Babysitters



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Nannies / Babysitters

---




There are quite a lot of nannies/babysitters movies so I didn't have a hard time finding options. Most fall under either comedy or horror so I'm including picks from both genres.

Mary Poppins (1964)
Childhood favourite. I used to watch this a lot as kid. Love the songs.

Adventures in Babysitting (1987)
Another classic. I like it, but it used to be shown on TV so often I got sick of it.
 
The Babysitter (2017)
A boy secretly stays up past his bedtime to spy on what his babysitter's been up to and discovers her doing some satanic ritual. It's a horror comedy. At time over the top but it was funny, I rather like it.



---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


9 comments:

  1. I wasn't a big fan of Mary Poppins. I guess that's the reason it didn't even cross my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE both Mary Poppins and Adventures in Babysitting. Both are so enjoyable and well acted.

    Until today I'd never heard of The Babysitter but someone else selected it as well.

    I went the nanny/governess route.

    Jane Eyre (1943)-After losing her parents and being raised in a hellish boarding school one step above an orphan asylum Jane Eyre (Joan Fontaine) is hired to be governess for Adele (Margaret O’Brien) the daughter of intense, brooding Edward Rochester (Orson Welles) at the remote Thornfield mansion. Attracted to him but wary she soon finds the mansion is a place of many secrets, some of which could be deadly. Based on the Charlotte Bronte novel.

    The Nanny (1965)-Nanny (Bette Davis), a London family's live-in maid, brings morbid 10-year-old Joey (William Dix) back from the psychiatric ward he's been in for two years, since the death of his younger sister. Joey refuses to eat any food Nanny's prepared or take a bath with her in the room. He also demands to sleep in a room with a lock. Joey's parents-workaholic Bill (James Villiers) and neurotic Virgie (Wendy Craig)-are sure Joey is disturbed, but he may have good reason to be terrified of Nanny. A battle of wits and wills ensues. Taut psychological drama was unfortunately lumped in with the hagsploitation films that became popular after the success of Davis’s “Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?” It is unrelated to them and much better.

    The Hand that Rocks the Cradle (1992)-During what should be a routine visit to her new obstetrician Claire Bartel (Annabella Sciorra) is molested by the doctor and reports him to the police. Rather than taking the rap the doctor commits suicide. The shock of the accusations and suicide causes the doctor's pregnant wife, Peyton (Rebecca De Mornay), to miscarry. Now unhinged mentally but seemingly normal Peyton poses as a nanny for the Bartel family with the intention of tearing Claire's life apart, seducing her husband (Matt McCoy) and eventually murdering the woman she blames for ruining her life. While the setup is a bit ripe De Mornay is fantastic and makes the picture much more than it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a lot of Jane Eyre adaptation, about six or so, the 1943 adaptation is near the bottom of the ranking for me.

      Delete
  3. We match on Adventures in Babysitting! I still can't believe I didn't even think of Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't watched Mary Poppins in at least 30 years. I'm kinda scared to revisit it because I get the impression it doesn't hold up at all. I also need to revisit Adventures in Babysitting. At least 20 years since I've seen that one. We match on The Babysitter. So much fun, that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've have rewatched Mary Poppins a few years back and it is just as good as I remembered it. I think it aged pretty well.

      Delete
  5. I’ve seen Poppins which I love. I still have not seen the other 2 which are popular this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd recommend Mary Poppins Returns
    💜❤️
    💛💙

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...