Thursday, May 9, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #252: Movies You Have a Different Opinion After Rewatch



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies You Have a Different Opinion After Rewatch

---




Today's theme is one by thevoid99. I don't often watch movies that I don't like again. The exception is when they are either classics or have an overwhelming number of great reviews, plus maybe I wasn't in the right mood then or just too young to understand so in those rare cases I give the movie a second chance several years later. Some of them I did end up liking or even love upon rewatch. While I think I'm forgetting some titles, here are the three that came immediately to mind.

West Side Story (1961)
I tried watching this about ten years ago, only a few minutes of it because I pretty much immediately disliked it. I think the movie opened with some gangster characters dancing and I was like seriously...gangsters twirling and dancing on pointe? To be fair, I'm not a big fan of musicals. A few years later, I don't know why but I popped the DVD and tried again and it turned out not to be soo bad, I can even say I like it. I like quite a number of the songs and while the whole gangsters ballet dancing thing is a bit weird, I can appreciate that all the dancing in the movie is well done and choreographed. The movie also seem very self aware of the world it lives in which is evident in the lines the characters say, there were moments that were absolute gems I thought and some of the issues that the movie touches on is still prevalent making the movie still feel very current.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
I think I tried watching this like 10 years ago, for only a few minutes and gave up. I had not understood what it was trying to say nor why people say it is funny. Tried again in 2017 and well I get it now.

Gosford Park (2001)
I first saw it it on DVD like 16 years ago and I did not get it at all. In fact I found it so boring and dull. A few years later I decided to give the movie a second try and I totally loved it. This is like if those old timey Agatha Christie type of murder mystery/detective story and the best Downton Abbey episode had a baby. I mean seriously, just imagine a more polished Downton Abbey with a much tighter story...that is Gosford Park. It such a well crafted film; sharp and funny and well acted by the fabulous cast. Of the three this is the one I like best and is one of my favorite movies.


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


7 comments:

  1. Dr. Strangelove is the only I've seen and it was love at first viewing. I'm glad you gave it a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't high on West Side Story when I first saw it in my teens. I didn't enjoy it but nowadays, I enjoy it immensely though I still think Natalie Wood and Richard Beymer are still among the weak aspects of the film mainly due to the fact that the supporting cast were far more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to see Dr. Strangelove and I will this year. West Side Story is one I adored when I was younger but it went down a few pegs as I got older. I still laugh at the opening with the pirouetting but I love the Dance scene and the America scene. I love Gosford Park and it is written by the same man who wrote Downton Abbey which my hubby and I both love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Side Story - The dance scene? Do you mean the scene when the two leads first meet?

      Gosford Park - Yeah Julian Fellows. I love the first few seasons of Downton Abbey, they were sharp and funny, but not the later ones. They were quite bad; too much soap opera melodrama and some of the newer characters like the cousin played by Lily Rose was just annoying.

      Delete
  4. It's been a long time since I last seen West Side Story. I need to watch that movie again!

    Here’s my Thursday Movie Picks!

    Ronyell @ The Surreal Movies and TV Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Dr. Strangelove on my Blind Spot list this year so I hope that I like it. West Side Story was something I saw once and didn't like either lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. West Side Story - Totally understand. It is made totally for musical lovers.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...