Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thursday Movie Picks #236: 2018 Releases



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is 2018 Releases

---


This is a hard theme for me because I haven't seen a lot of 2018 films so I'm sticking with those I've seen on streaming services that were disappointing and/or could have been better.

Hold the Dark
I've picked this one last week. As I've mentioned, the plot sounded so interesting but it ended up being a disappointment. I think it's because the story explains nothing. All we get are that these characters are just messed up and had been holding off the dark until it all exploded. If they at least touched on the why now...perhaps the story could have been better.

Les affamés
The gist: The movie follows survivors of a zombie apocalypse in a small village in upstate Quebec. I think I'm experiencing zombie fatigue. I blame it on The Walking Dead which drags out storylines pointlessly (I've given up on it since last season). Anyway this one is really quiet and slow burning, which I often like in movies, but here I found it quite dull.

Mute
The gist: A mute bartender goes up against gangsters to find his missing partner. This is said to be set in the same world as Moon, in fact you can see a news clip of a court trial featuring the main characters in Moon in the background in one of scene. I love Moon and Mute had a good cast so I had expected this to be great, unfortunately it was a little disappointing. The thing is Moon is science fiction film set in the future exploring scientific progress and the human cost. Mute, while it is an ok crime drama, just happens to be set in the same futuristic world but has little do with science. It might has well has been set in the present day.

Wonderstruck
The gist: Two children, a girl and a boy, separated by fifty years, runs away to New York City. This is a movie based on a book by the same author that wrote Hugo. There are similar elements in this one as well like silent movies and orphan children.Wonderstruck follows two different children and I would say the story of the second child, the boy, is much more satisfying and has wonderful diorama scenes at end. The first story is told in black and white and without spoken words other than the score, because the girl is deaf (but the boy is also deaf and his story has sound). My guess is this was done to remain loyal to how the girl's story was told in the book? Anyway I don't think it was quite a smart thing to do considering this is a movie based on a kids book targeted at kids. I mean how well would a kid take a movie that is half silent and without color? My guess not well especially when the girl's story is also overall just a lot duller than the boy's, without any friendship and adventure element. So yeah, I would say an uneven movie.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers


13 comments:

  1. Haven't seen any of these, but I've been tempted to watch Mute several times. As soon as I open Netflix, there it is, staring me in the face. I'll probably give it a go one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...Oh just watch it...it's not boring...just not very good.

      Delete
  2. I also hated Mute and Hold The Dark. Both are on my worst list, and it's so disappointing because I was looking forward to both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say Mute is more disappointing for me just because I love Moon.

      Delete
  3. Well I made a big oops and talked about long movie titles this week. I guess I am just ass backwards so I will do this post next week...you know, criss-cross to quote from a great movie. I don’t know any of the films you mentioned and doubt I will see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have been looking at the preliminary schedule?

      Delete
  4. Mute is the only I've seen and I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any of them...I do want to watch two, Mute and Hold The Dark even though there's a bit of hate towards them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I hate Mute and Hold The Dark, they were just so-so movies.

      Delete
  6. I do think Duncan Jones is in need a good movie, but mute isn't that movie. Doesn't it also have a flat out wrong pedophile subplot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Warcraft not really interest in that, but it does seem to have a good rating on IMDB.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea Mute had the connection to Moon. It might not have been a great movie but I definitely want to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah...that was like the selling point of Mute for me that it was set in the same universe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...