Thursday, April 5, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #195: Underground



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Underground

---




P2 (2007)
After a late night at the office, a woman is locked in the garage by the crazy garage attendant. I don't remember much of it now, so I suppose it was neither bad or good enough to be memorable.

City of Ember (2008)
I remember thinking the premise of this sounded so interesting, but ultimately the movie was boring and perhaps a little too juvenile for me. Like I know it's a kids movie, but there are those that transcend age.

The Divide (2011)
A group of people survive a nuclear blast in a basement shelter. But things eventually get worse when personalities clash, resources dwindle and so on. I've picked this before previously and of the three today, is the only one I like. 

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

4 comments:

  1. I've only seen City of Ember, which I thought was okay. P2 was on my radar, but I never got around to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also picked City of Ember. It was okay, not fantastic. I haven't seen the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the others I've only seen City of Ember which was meh. The Divide has an interesting sounding cast so I might check it out.

    My first thought was the great subway heist film The Taking of Pelham One Two Three but I've used it before so I came up with these three instead.

    Transatlantic Tunnel (1935)-Engineer Richard "Mack" McAllan (Richard Dix) proposes the building of a tunnel to connect England and the United States though revolutionary new technology. The film follows the many years and problems encountered as the realization of the project progresses. Futuristic early sci-fi posits the construction of an undersea tunnel linking England with the United States was one of the first film allegories to attempt to strengthen the US/UK bond as the dark clouds of war began to waft through Europe. Though little known today this was a high profile project at the time with two of the most esteemed actors in film, Walter Huston and George Arliss, as the President of the United States and Prime Minister respectively.

    Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959)-Sir Oliver Lindenbrook, a Scottish geologist (James Mason) and his assistant Alec McEwan (Pat Boone!) set off on an expedition to the center of the earth after finding directions in an inscription hidden in volcanic rock. Along the way to an Iceland volcano to begin their journey Carla Göteborg (Arlene Dahl) the widow of a famous scientist, Icelander Hans Bjelke (Peter Ronson) and his pet duck Gertrud join their party. On their way they encounter, treacherous terrain, subterranean oceans, prehistoric monsters and rival scientist Count Saknussemm (Thayer David) who is on their trail. The sets and effects are very dated by today’s standards but still a fun adventure.

    Daylight (1996)-When robbers fleeing police collide with trucks carrying toxic waste inside New York’s Holland Tunnel a fireball results collapsing both ends and trapping a disparate group of survivors who turn to the disgraced former chief of Emergency Services Kit Latura (Sylvester Stallone) now working as a cab driver and trapped with them “the only man capable of saving the day!” Typical Stallone nonsense but vigorous and actiony if undemanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've only seen bits of the The Taking of Pelham One Two Three remake. I heard the original was better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...