Thursday, March 15, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #192: Childhood Favourites



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Childhood Favourites

---




These are movies that I watch over and over again as a kid.

Mary Poppins (1964)
What's not too love? It has lovely music and a whimsical story. One of my favourite parts was when they went to the animated world.

Grease (1978)
I was introduced to the music of Grease first; my parents had the vinyl of the soundtrack. They later bought the video so I could see the movie the music was from and I immediately love it.

Casper (1995)
I had seen the cartoons growing up and this is the live action version with a gothic manor, of course I loved it. The effects in this movie would now look dated, but back then when I saw it I was in awe that they were able to make the ghosts see-through.


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this series, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

13 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVED Casper as a kid! Christina Ricci was my first celebrity crush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was like one of the IT child stars then.

      Delete
  2. Oh I did love Casper - big Ricci fan back in the day - wish she was in more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's in that Zelda Amazon series. The things she's been in have been more of a miss lately. She probably needs to do some interesting Indie.

      Delete
  3. I remember the old Casper comics. I was an adult by the time the movie came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there were comics. I've only seen the cartoons.

      Delete
  4. Casper! I wish I would've thought of that one, I loved it. I remember when Grease re-released their soundtrack in the late 90's when I was in grade school. All my friends and I were obsessed with it and our parents laughed at us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a re-release of the soundtrack in the 90s. But I guess that's why some of the other kids knew Grease as well.

      Delete
  5. We have a match!! Who doesn't love Mary Poppins, I'm sure there are some but you'd have to be pretty grumbly to do so.

    I saw Grease on its initial release on the 4th of July in an absolutely packed theatre in the second row (those people were BIG on the screen) and loved it. I also went back when it was re-released on its 20th-maybe 25th anniversary and it just as much fun. Great music and though all the actors are far too old for their roles they're all terrific.

    Caspar is the one that I'm not too wild about but I was an adult when it came out so it didn't have the same impact for me.

    Since my childhood was pre-VCR I went with films that I would sit and watch with my parents when they showed on commercial TV.

    Papa’s Delicate Condition (1963)-Based on silent film star Corinne Griffith’s memoir of her small town childhood with her brash, tippling father (Jackie Gleason) and aggrieved mother (Glynis Johns) who while frustrated with her feckless husband and the troubles he causes when he’s in his cups still loves him very much. Homey and sweet film introduced the song “Call Me Irresponsible” which won the Oscar.

    Mary Poppins (1964)-Practically perfect in every way nanny appears on the doorstep of the staid but colorful Banks residence one day and nothing is ever the same again. Julie Andrews IS perfect as Miss Poppins, the songs are wonderful as is the rest of the cast including Dick Van Dyke (terrible Cockney accent and all), a delightfully addled Glynis Johns again and Oscar winner Jane Darwell in her last film appearance as the Bird Woman.

    Angel in My Pocket (1969)-Minister Sam Whitehead (Andy Griffith) arrives at his new post in the small town of Wood Falls, Kansas with his wife Mary Elizabeth (Lee Meriwether), kids, mother-in-law Racine (Kay Medford) and trouble making brother-in-law Bubba (Jerry Van Dyke) hoping to lead his flock in a peaceful fashion. Instead he finds himself smack dab in the middle of a feud between the families of Mayor Will Sinclair (Henry Jones) and his rival Axel Gresham (Edgar Buchanan). While he tries to deal with that unbeknownst to all Bubba (Jerry Van Dyke) turns the church boiler into an alcohol still leading to another set of problems. As things come to a head and Sam fears he is losing his faith something happens that leads to a happy conclusion. Homespun and comfy movie with Griffith adding just the right blend of warmth and gravity to the lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grease - Haha...yeah, but aren't they always casting 20 and early 30 year olds as teenagers, even now.

      Delete
  6. I love Mary Poppins especially the Chimney Sweep scene and the song Let's go Fly a Kite. Grease is fun and I saw it in the movie theatre when it came out but I thought the ending sucked even though it was fun. Basically she turns from someone sweet to a slut and changed for him which will never work. Caspar is sweet and meant for kids I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. DARN IT! I misread the schedule and thought it was this week. I'm really sorry. Hopefully you'll still like my choices anyway.

    http://hitchcocksworld.blogspot.ca/2018/03/thursday-movie-picks-childhood-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...