Friday, February 16, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #188: Break into Song Scenes (Non-Musicals)



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Break into Song Scenes (Non-Musicals)

---

I love these kind of scenes in a movie, they are often a lot of fun. I had previously wanted to pick that "You Make My Dreams" fountain scene in 500 Days of Summer, until I realised they only broke into dance but did no singing. So I am only left with picks that are all from movies either about weddings or have a wedding scene.

Some unrelated Thursday Movie Picks stuff - I don't know how many of you actually read the paragraph before my weekly picks but here goes...I was thinking of doing a Monthly Book Picks thing where say the first Monday of the month you pick your top reads (so it is not a theme based thing) for the previous month and anyone joining can add their link to the inlinkz form like how it's done with TMP. As I missed January picks, I plan to start in March listing both January and February Picks.

My Best Friend's Wedding (1997)
It's the one at the restaurant where everyone sings I Say a Little Prayer. It's a very upbeat catchy song that makes you want to singalong.

Ella Enchanted (2004)
I'm trying to remember if this was a musical, I don't think it was...so it's here. The scene is at the end when everyone breaks into song and dance to Don't Go Breaking My Heart.

Bridesmaids (2011)
Right at the end when Wilson Philips came on to sing Hold On and everyone sang along.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

8 comments:

  1. I've seen My Best Friend's Wedding and Bridesmaids and I enjoyed them both. I don't remember those scenes though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Sonia, can't remember those scenes, but really enjoyed both movies 😊 I do remember Ella Enchanted, they sing a few songs in that movie, it's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of these, the one in My Best Friend's Wedding is my favorite, and I don't know how anyone can forget that scene! Love Bridesmaids, and that scene is so great at capturing the friendship these women have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Best Friend's Wedding...I agree it was one of the most memorable scenes...plus I remember the music video of it getting quite a bit of air time then too.

      Delete
  4. I only vaguely remember the scene in Ella Enchanted and I loathed Bridesmaids and have forgotten all I possibly can about it but we match on My Best Friend's Wedding. Such an enjoyable film and that scene and Rupert Everett in it are just great.

    This week was a bit challenging and aside from our shared pick I struggled a bit but did come up with these.

    Adventures in Babysitting (1987)-When Chris Parker (a phenomenal Elisabeth Shue) agrees to babysit the Anderson kids after her date cancels at the last minute she has no idea that she is embarking on the rollercoaster ride of her life thanks to her friend Brenda (a hilarious Penelope Ann Miller) being stuck at the bus station in the city. Going to help against her better judgement she and the kids have one harrowing madcap adventure after another including an unexpected but spirited impromptu performance in a jazz club. Disarming and just plain fun.

    The First Wives Club (1996)- At the funeral of one of their college roommates who committed suicide when her ex-husband married a younger woman three women (Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, and Diane Keaton) reunite for the first time in nearly 30 years. When they realize the reason for their friend's suicide, they discover a common bond-all of their ex-husbands have taken them for granted as well-they decide it's time for revenge and unite to get back at their exes. Scheming and chicanery topped by a musical number follow.

    My Best Friend’s Wedding (1997)-Julianne Potter (Julia Roberts) panics when her best friend Michael (Dermot Mulroney) calls out of the blue and tells her he is getting married the next weekend to pert, ultra-wealthy Kimmy (Cameron Diaz). Once upon a time Julianne and Michael had made a pact to marry each other if they hadn’t found someone by their 28th birthday, with this news she decides Michael is the man for her and sets out to stop the wedding against the advice of her other best friend George (a scene stealing Rupert Everett). Hilarity and an unexpected musical number ensue. Disarming romantic comedy with Roberts’s superstar charisma totally responsible for making her rather contemptible character someone you almost root for.

    The monthly book picks sounds like it will be interesting and informative. A nice glance into what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventures in Babysitting - I don't remember that bit. I think it's just that there were many other scenes in the movie that was a lot more memorable for me.

      Delete
  5. Great picks and I love that scene as well, in Best Friend’s. There might be more than one song but it is not a musical even though Ella sings to the giants as well. Love Bridesmaids and it fits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella Enchanted - yes that's what I thought too...not a musical.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...