Friday, January 12, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #183: Once Was Enough



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Once Was Enough (Movies You Don't Want to Watch Again)

---




I'm going to pick ones that I don't think are bad at all, just that for various reasons, I don't want to see again.

Black Beauty (1994)
I have seen this twice actually, the second time not by choice as it was shown at school. It follows the life of a horse and it is so so sad, it makes me weep.

Lilya 4-Ever (2002)
It's about a girl who becomes a victim of an underground sex trade and it's is bleak bleak bleak.

Paranoid Park (2007)
It's about a teenager who causes a terrible accident. There's a scene showing the aftermath of the accident that I would like to unsee.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

13 comments:

  1. Ohhh I love Paranoid Park. That was one of my favorite films of that year. I didn't care for Black Beauty when I was a kid and Ive never seen Lilya 4-ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked when they had to shoot Old Yeller. I found the rest of the movie sappy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH GOD Lilya 4-Ever. Bleak bleak bleak is RIGHT.

    I remember loving Black Beauty when it came out, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Beauty - I'm sure the movie is fine, it's just a very sad story that's all.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear gad I hear ya on these, but I can't really recall Black Beauty as much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a couple different versions of Black Beauty including this one, mostly with my nieces when they were small, and they never bothered me but I've never gone out of my way to catch a new version either.

    I'm unfamiliar with the others but from what you write I'm not tempted to seek them out.

    I got a kick of how close the title of my first was to the week's theme but it's a bad film. The others I liked but as the theme goes never wish to see them again.

    Once is Not Enough (1975)-Oh but it most certainly was…more than enough to be frank!! Based on the theme I couldn’t resist but this terrible film based on a trashy Jacqueline Susann novel about a naïve selfish and rather stupid rich girl (Deborah Raffin) who becomes involved with an much older man (David Janssen) as a substitute for her obsession with her father (Kirk Douglas) is tasteless, crass and badly acted by everyone except Alexis Smith and Brenda Vaccaro (who somehow managed to rise above the muck and be nominated for Best Supporting Actress). For something so salacious it’s remarkably dull.

    La Ronde (1950) - Max Ophuls’s venerated roundelay of a circle of love affairs, some serious some frivolous in 1900 Vienna is a supposed mad whirl of joie de vivre. I love many other of Ophuls’s films, Letter from an Unknown Woman, The Earrings of Madame de… & The Reckless Moment among them, so I was really looking forward to this film but while I didn’t hate it I found it rather silly and too frou-frou to take seriously and can’t see myself returning to it again.

    Moonrise Kingdom (2012)-Two youngsters fall in love and run away together which leads a search party to set out for them while they have quirky adventures. I know I’ll probably take heat for this one and maybe it’s because Wes Anderson films by and large leave me cold but while others were telling me how charming and lovely this was I thought it was forced, trying too hard for a feeling of whimsy. Again I didn’t hate it but I had a big feeling of So What? at the film’s conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I like Moonrise Kingdom. Wes Anderson has a certain style, you either like his movies or don't. I like most.

      Delete
  6. I skipped Lilja-4-Ever mostly for the reasons you stated with the bleak and all that. Good picks. These are all movies I avoided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilja-4-Ever: I knew that it was bleak too before watching, but had been curious because it had been mostly positive reviews.

      Delete
  7. I remember reading the book Black Beauty and crying which is why I never watched any film version. I haven’t seen your other picks either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Beauty - I think you made the right call. I've not read the book and never will.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...