Thursday, October 16, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #14: Found Footage Movies


Thursday Movie Picks

Hello and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks! Hey we're in the third week of the Halloween Edition! I hope you've enjoyed reading mine and other participants picks the last two weeks and even check out some of those movies yourself. It's a new week so continue to brace yourself for some scary flicks as for 5 Thursdays in the month of October, the themes will all be Halloween related. 

October 2 - Unstable Characters (characters that seemed off...eg. Donnie Darko)
October 9 - Zombie Movies
October 16 - Found Footage Movies
October 23 - Vampire Movies
October 30 - Haunted Buildings

As you can see there are some fun themes in the coming weeks. So if you haven't join us already, now is definitely the time to.

Before we start let's go through some of the simple rules for the newbies; Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.
---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Found Footage Movies

---
 
I suppose there have been found footage movies before, but it was probably Blair Witch Project that made it one of the trendiest sub genre in horror movies. What with it being cheap to produce, with stories that have mainstream appeal and has resulted the best of them being extremely profitable. I'm actually really tempted to flip it and go for found footage movies that aren't horror, but since this is the Halloween edition and I have not pick much scary stuff in the past 2 weeks, I'm going to keep it simple and stick with horror.

So here are some of my favourites in alphabetical order:





A lot of the found footage movies have characters walking around investigating some supernatural occurrence. This one has that and surveillance footage of a house that seems to be haunted...which is exactly what people are curious about right? Will supernatural stuff make an appearance when no one is watching? Paranormal Activity certainly serves that and if you haven't watch too much of the trailers or clips online, this movie can be a real scary one to watch. One thing that ruins it a little I guess is who edited the camcorder and the surveillance footage together?

So I'm picking both the original and the remake. They're both pretty similar being about a group of people being quarantined in an apartment building when there is an outbreak of a mysterious virus, and I enjoyed watching both movies. The found footage style of camera work, which makes the audience feel right there, certainly make these movies two of the scariest zombish-creature movies I've seen. Plus the story starts at possibly the beginning of an epidemic with what seems to be patient zero, so like the characters in the movies we have no idea what's going on. 


Before I started with this list I imagined there were a lot of found footage movies out there but there really isn't and few good ones.

---


So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?



If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)
 
---


Participating Blogs/Bloggers

4 comments:

  1. I love Paranormal Activity and enjoyed Quarantine. Since I saw the remake first I never bothered with REC though I heard it's really good. Nice picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. The main female character is less annoying and the explanation for the outbreak is slightly different if I remember correctly.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I liked Rec and Quarantine, and Paranormal Activity was decent too. (Especially with the budget they had) I kind of fudged it on this one, not one of my picks isn't a horror movie per se, but it was just too good to leave out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was tempted to the same too since I really like the few that weren't at all scary movies.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...