Thursday, September 25, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #11: Nautical Movies





Hello and welcome to the eleventh edition of Thursday Movie Picks! I hope you've been joining in the last few weeks but if you haven't what are you waiting for? It's never too late to join. For new folks, the rules of this weekly series is simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information and future topics please visit the Thursday Movie Picks page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Nautical Movies


---

I think I'm out of my depths with today's theme. I haven't watch a lot of nautical movies and the only one that I really love is Master and Commander: The Farside of the World, which I've already mentioned on another blogathon. So I can't really do my usual favourites and have to find another angle with this theme. 

With Halloween coming up, I'm going with Scary Nautical Movies. Only one of my picks is a hidden gem, the others are I'd say entertaining watches.


As usual here are my three picks in alphabetical order:


I love ghost stories and haunted house movies, so a movie about a haunted cruise ship was incredibly appealing. I mean whatever happen to all those lost at sea ships right? I don't remember the Ghost Ship being at all great, there were a few scares here and there, but it does have that unforgettable scene in the beginning when the passengers were dancing.

Open Water 2: Adrift (2006) - "A weekend cruise on a luxurious party yacht goes horribly wrong for a group of old high-school friends."
This is the sequel to Open Water. The premise of this sequel is similar in that it's about people stranded in open water. The first movie involved a couple being left stranded by the people in their diving trip while they were still underwater. On the other hand Adrift involves a group of friends stupid enough to all jump into the water before putting the ladder out so basically they could not get back on the yacht. Adrift is I'd say more entertaining since it does have more characters who are pretty dumb. In the first movie, the couple was pretty doomed. All they could do is hope that the people in the diving trip remember they were unaccounted for and come back. In Adrift, the group of friends have this yacht in front of them but could not work together and find a solution to get on board.

Triangle (2009) - "When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. Her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety, a ship Jess is convinced she's been on before..."
Out of the three this is the one that I actually like. A hidden gem too since I don't think it's been widely seen. Triangle has a lot of crazy stuff going on and is certainly one of those mind fuck movies that's best going in with knowing as little as possible and would probably benefit from a few watches. I checked out the IMDB board of this movie today and there were lengthy lengthy theories and analysis threads.

---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?


If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

4 comments:

  1. There's an Open Water 2? Why? Anyhoo, Triangle sounds very interesting. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize there was a sequel to Open Water. I'm not entirely sure how much further one could expect to go with the premise of a group of characters being stranded in open water. Triangle does sound interesting enough, though. I've never seen Ghost Ship so I can't really comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrift....by having sillier characters making dumber mistakes.
      If you like Primer or Memento, I think you'd enjoy Triangle.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...